Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 817374 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #3060 on: August 20, 2021, 12:40:51 pm »
Well... I am now learning how to boulder and rock climb!! i hate lifting so i needed to find another way to work out.... i got invited to go to a rock climbing gym for 15 buck a month!!! man im sore.....   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rock climbing will get you STRONG.  I used to go to a climbing gym about three times a week, and after a few months of that I could do pullups on a door lintel with my fingertips.  Used to.   ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3061 on: August 20, 2021, 01:14:10 pm »
This weekend is my Knapping Event in Yosemite National Park. I have 13 knappers that are for sure coming. At least 3 of them can make blades 18-36 inches long! You can look up Grog Verbeck on youtube. I will also be getting close to 1000lbs of obsidian this weekend.

Most of that is coming from a college professor that collected a bunch thinking that she was going to take up knapping. As she got older she just decided that she wanted her yard back. On of my friends who lived closer went and picked it up for me. He says I am getting 35 5 gal buckets of material plus some larger pieces!

If you learn on Flint or other hard stuff you will most likely cut your self up. Got to learn to scale back when working obsidian. For me, learning on obsidian, I never get enough force into flint to do what I can do with obsidian.

It will be a fun time. We do have smoke from all of the fires here. Hopefully it will clear out some.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3062 on: September 07, 2021, 10:04:56 am »
I got on the Facebook market place and saw a yard sale ad with 4 bows stacked up against the wall. I can spot one of my bows from a mile away it appeared the western diamond backed bow was one of mine, by blowing up the image I could tell it wasn't, too sloppy of a job on the snake skin application.

The ad was a week old, I contacted him to see if any bows were left, two were left, one hickory and one vintage recurve, the rattler bow had been sold. He wanted $10 for each of the remaining bows. The word STOLEN, popped into my head. I texted back and forth with guy and it just didn't add up so I declined the offer to come buy the 2 remaining bows.

A few years ago I guy posted a Jimmy Taylor hickory bow on the Marketplace for $30, the pictures looked good so I drove to the meeting place to buy the bow.

I waited and guy showed up walking down the street with the bow, a dang obvious crack head. He looked like he hadn't eaten in a week so I gave him the money and went home with the bow. He gave me the story that the bow was a friends who didn't shoot anymore but didn't know how to post it for sale on the internet. As I drove home I thought, "I sure hope this bow wasn't stolen" but I had my doubts.

Anyway, after the hickory bow buy I am on high alert for any deal that smells, even if I could get the item for a song.

Here are the bows;

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 10:09:37 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3063 on: September 09, 2021, 10:05:58 am »
I re-crowned the barrel on a TC Hawkens I put together. It was cutting patches with the factory crown so I re-crowned it with sandpaper and my thumb, it came out off center.

I turned a crown cuter on my lathe that I saw on line somewhere, it worked really well to cut an even crown.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3064 on: September 27, 2021, 09:26:04 am »

Just had an adventure, I came back from the store to find my armadillo trap sprung and the critter up under one of my bushes. Peeked under the bush so proud that I caught the bastard, it was a dang skunk. Now what do I do?

It hadn't sprayed so I thought, if I pop it in the head with a 22 it won't spray, wrong! A full blown skunk spray is beyond description in foul order.

I pulled the trap chain and carried the skunk down in the woods to get it out of the trap. I got it out and left the stinking trap down in the wood

Although the skunk didn't spray me, just being down wind of the stench made my clothes pick up the odor.

I spent a while hosing down the flower bed where it sprayed and got rid of the worst of it but some of the stink and already made it into my house and garage.

I am going to put my clothes outside until I can wash them, the drier is out until a needed part comes in on Tuesday.

The stink came back in my flower bed, terrible. I sprayed hydrogen peroxide on the area which is about 2'X2', it didn't appear to to do anything. I may get some sand and encapsulate the area with a layer of sand and let it sit until spring.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #3065 on: September 27, 2021, 12:51:22 pm »
Eric I just learned that the chemical in skunk spray actually releases more sent as is is broken down with water so that's why you have to wash things so many times.
In the woods I find my peace

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3066 on: September 27, 2021, 12:57:00 pm »
The first thing I do is dig a hole to put em in.

Seems  like head shot always results in spray.

Lung shot about 50-50

I know it sounds like overkill, but I’ve had pretty good luck with 16 gauge to the lungs.

Bjrogg

PS usually turns my smile upside down to
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #3067 on: September 27, 2021, 02:15:14 pm »
Drown it maybe?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3068 on: September 27, 2021, 05:07:22 pm »
I went down in the woods to bury the stinking thing, it was so rank I knew I would be smelling it up at the house if the wind changed. Some critter, apparently without a sense of smell, had carried it off to eat, whew.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3069 on: September 27, 2021, 08:24:24 pm »
I think Great Horned owls eat skunks. Got any hoot owls around you, Eric?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3070 on: September 27, 2021, 11:52:34 pm »
I do, just heard one sound off down in the woods below my house, it is not unusual for there to be several talking back and forth at night.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3071 on: September 29, 2021, 01:48:46 pm »
After you catch a skunk in a live trap you catch everything in it. I know guys who chop them up and use them for fox bait. At least they tell me they do.

What we think stinks the critters often time find irresistible.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #3072 on: September 30, 2021, 02:28:55 pm »

Bjrogg
As anyone who has opened a can of cat food can attest.

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #3073 on: September 30, 2021, 02:59:44 pm »
After you catch a skunk in a live trap you catch everything in it. I know guys who chop them up and use them for fox bait. At least they tell me they do.

Bjrogg

I had an airdale coon hound that was an exceptional coon dog, but if he ever caught a skunk on the ground, your best bet was to just walk home. He would leave parts scattered over a half acre, and you just didn't stop it. However once he caught a skunk, we never had a night without treeing coon. It was like it cleared his nose. Wasn't necessary a pleasant evening for us hunters though.
Don

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3074 on: September 30, 2021, 03:10:00 pm »
A fellow that used to be in our archery club was with animal control for our city. He said that the only way to kill a skunk without it spraying, was to use a live trap that was low not allowing it to lift it's tail. Then drown it.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano