Author Topic: Help with Shooting Consistency  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Josh Wilson

Help with Shooting Consistency
« on: January 05, 2013, 04:18:11 pm »
I shot my bow today and I consistantly shot high and left. My bow is 55# at my draw length, and my arrows are spined to 50-55#. I played with different anchors, and stances, etc. but the arrows just kept hitting the top left corner of the target. I shot a nice group though, lol.

Aside from aiming at the bottom right corner of the target, what should I try?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Help with Shooting Consistency
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 05:29:04 pm »
Your arrows are probably too stiff. Generally with a selfbow my arrows are spined about 10# lighter than the draw weight. If they were 2" longer they would shoot like 45#-55# arrows and probably shoot a lot better for you.  Heavier points will also decrease spine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 05:32:49 pm »
Your bow arm may need work youtube video on bow arm for tradition bow. I think maybe you have a shoulder that is comimg up. The left right maybe think about fixing after the up and down is fixed
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 11:24:06 am »
Your arrows are probably too stiff. Generally with a selfbow my arrows are spined about 10# lighter than the draw weight. If they were 2" longer they would shoot like 45#-55# arrows and probably shoot a lot better for you.  Heavier points will also decrease spine.

+1

Offline Cyrille

• I have been active in archery since age 15
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 01:40:58 am »
What are you shooting? i.e.self bow, horse bow, long bow,  recurve, etc? split finger, 3 under? instinctive or P.O.A. Gap? I shoot a recurve 47# POA using the pile as the sight and gap shoot split finger(mostly) Am experimenting with 3 under with 3 under I shoot low if I use the same gap as when shooting split finger have to aim a bit higher when shooting 3 U
To Hunt, to loose, "perchance to dream."*
 Cyrille Troubadour & Archer.

* Paraphrasing Shakespeare's Hamlet

Offline Josh Wilson

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 03:57:03 pm »
I'm shooting an Elnglish Longbow, with the three fingered mediteranian release. My arrows are port orford cedar, iirc. I generally try to shoot instinctive, although sometimes I catch myself trying to sight down the arrow. The groups I shot werent bad. About 4 or 5 inches diameter.

I just glued points onto my arrows, and they arent coming off anytime soon so that I could put heavier ones on there. If I sanded my arrow down a bit between the fletchings and the points, would this help reduce the spine weight?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 05:54:59 pm »
Yep

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 05:55:42 pm »
What kind of glue?

Offline Josh Wilson

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 05:57:46 pm »
I'm unsure, atm. Some clear drying 2 step epoxy.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 06:15:48 pm »
You should be able to add heat and pull that off with pliers. I would change the wt before I would sand.  Then find some hot melt archery glue to attach your points with, it will make it easier to change them in the future. Sanding the shaft is a permanent kinda thing.