Author Topic: #5 deer for the year  (Read 10659 times)

Offline Will H

#5 deer for the year
« on: January 06, 2013, 08:27:09 pm »
Well here's my last one for the year :) It was a beautiful morning on the last day of season. I saw close to 20 deer in all and a few turkeys as well. Just as I thought I was going to have to settle with watching deer at a distance with binoculars, three does came filtering through the creek bottom to my left. They passed at 35yds and I noticed a spike was coming along behind them. Just as I started to focus my attention on him a flurry of commotion started up back in the hollar behind him. I'm not sure if it was dogs, coyotes, or another hunter that busted those deer out but they were headed our way and fast! 2 does split off the group of 8 or more and headed straight for my stand. When they came to a halt the larger of the two was right in front of me slightly quartering away at 12 steps. I hit anchor and let my arrow fly. My new 40# Osage bow I finished up last week did the job cause she didn't go out of sight before she was done :) I figure she weighed somewhere around 80# dressed. It's gonna be some more tasty dinners for me and mine this year! Here's a couple pics ;)

Oh I almost forgot! I found this 7pt while i was blood trailing her! I guess somebody shot and lost him. Should make for some nice tip overlays and knife handles ;)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:59:45 pm by Will H »
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: #5 deer for the year
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 11:16:23 pm »
Will, what a great way to end the season. ;DLater Bob

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 06:06:24 am »
Congrats Will,Nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 09:11:21 am »
Congratulations, buddy.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:56:56 am »
Very successful year Will, congrats!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 02:05:50 pm »
Not everyday you get to shoot a doe AND come home with antlers...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Brock

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 09:09:19 pm »
Congrats...how do you have that much time to hunt when you are supposed to be writing songs, putting down music and serenading JimmyBlackmon around the campfire so he can pontificate and make videos for us that are not able to visit Twin Oaks? LOL

Great year....congrats again.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 11:00:23 am »
Congrats on another successful hunt. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline VicNova

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 07:54:52 pm »
looks good
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 06:36:50 pm »
How do you determine how many points a deer is?
Nice!
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Marks

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 11:19:51 am »
Nice!
You count em.  ;D

But seriously, you just count em. I know in parts of the country they count each side separately so this would be a 3x4 but in God's country (Southeast) we keep it simple. Start with one and count till you run out of points. I'm assuming you know what a point is.  :o ;)

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 04:46:21 pm »
Nice!
You count em.  ;D

But seriously, you just count em. I know in parts of the country they count each side separately so this would be a 3x4 but in God's country (Southeast) we keep it simple. Start with one and count till you run out of points. I'm assuming you know what a point is.  :o ;)
Do you mean the points of the antler? Cause if so, that makes sense.
What about a doe? I don't think you hunt those though.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Marks

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 05:26:33 pm »
Yes the points of the antler. That deer has 3 points on one side and 4 on the other.
Of course, does do not have points but in most states you can still hunt them. Every state has different guidelines as to how many you can kill. In my state (AL) in past years you can kill 2 does per day every day for the entire season. You can kill 1 buck per day but only 3 bucks per year and one has to have at least 4 points on one antler. They are changing that this year in parts of the state because a disease has decreased the population. They are going to lower the number of days you can kill a doe and you can only kill 1 per day.

Killing bucks within reason does not affect the overall population since each buck breeds several does. The leftover bucks will breed them all. Does are killed for population control because obviously dead does don't have babies.

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 12:31:44 am »
Yes the points of the antler. That deer has 3 points on one side and 4 on the other.
Of course, does do not have points but in most states you can still hunt them. Every state has different guidelines as to how many you can kill. In my state (AL) in past years you can kill 2 does per day every day for the entire season. You can kill 1 buck per day but only 3 bucks per year and one has to have at least 4 points on one antler. They are changing that this year in parts of the state because a disease has decreased the population. They are going to lower the number of days you can kill a doe and you can only kill 1 per day.

Killing bucks within reason does not affect the overall population since each buck breeds several does. The leftover bucks will breed them all. Does are killed for population control because obviously dead does don't have babies.
There are deer problems where I live. One probably got hit by a car cause it has one back leg messed up(its always in my backyard eating the grass). I have also seen a few fawns.
I have to be careful to look into the wood near my target cause I don't want to hit one.