Author Topic: first wood shaft arrow  (Read 1574 times)

Offline kevinsmith5

first wood shaft arrow
« on: January 06, 2013, 10:26:44 pm »
I've done quite a few bamboo shaft arrows, but this is the first wood shaft arrow I've finished. It's spruce, 33 1/2" (including nock and head), has a 100 gr glue on field point, turkey feather fletching, and a glue on indexed nock. I finished it with four coats of Danish oil and wrapped the fletching with artificial sinew. At first I had some trouble with the head coming off, but I found a thread that recommended heating the head before attaching and dunking it in ice water to cool itafter attaching and that seems to have done the trick.

Ive got 11 more shafts prepped with Danish oil, so if anyone sees any mistakes or points for improvement, I'd appreciate the pointers before I screw something up :)

Offline Weylin

Re: first wood shaft arrow
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:04:19 am »
Looks good from here!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 07:34:26 am »
Looks good to me,just seems a little long unless you have a super long draw length. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 08:25:50 am »
Actually, yes I do. I'm 6'2" but have arms like a gorrilla. My draw is 31 1/2"

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 09:16:54 am »
my draw is 28 and i shoot 34 inch arrows  ;D

nice first one
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 06:41:40 pm »
I finished the first half dozen last night and shot them for the first time today. All I can say is WOW...it is one thing to know theoretically that carefully building something yourself by hand will turn out better than what you can buy in the store, it's another to watch six arrows consistently slam in a group into your target that would have made you faint with the carbon fibers you had been using.

I think before I was attempting to adjust my aim with the next shot when the next shot was with an arrow that wasn't close to the same (even if they were same make same model). Now the variations are all on my technique and aim....