Author Topic: Camp essentials  (Read 2934 times)

Stringman

Camp essentials
« on: January 10, 2013, 06:09:09 pm »
Ok, A buddy and I are planning a trip to CO for fall elk hunting this year and we have been putting alot of thought into everything. This will be my second trip of the sort, but I still lack a lot of experience. One of the things I have been struggling with is how much food to take and what kind.

We plan to ride in on horses and setup a base camp of sorts perhaps 5-8 miles from the road. What kinds of things do you take into a camp like this. We don't have a canvas tent, but plan to use camping tents and tarps to set up with. What are you're thoughts?

Scott

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Camp essentials
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 06:30:53 pm »
#1 on my list would be a large caliber handgun.  Aren't there some big predators out there?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 07:25:26 pm »
if using a camp stove  make sure you have plenty of fuel (don't ask me how i know that). a good ground pad (i've had good luck with a thermarest), extra wool socks, duct tape (how could anyone survive without it?), and bring a cow call and know how to use it, thier not hard to master and can bring elk in when nothing else will, this past fall i called in 7 elk (1 cow, 3 yearlings, 2 spikes and a nice 5x5) that otherwise would not have come into range without the cow call, just don't get a primos hoochie momma it's crap i think it's just a mean trick that instead of the call saying "come here" in elkish it says "git!". i've used the carlton fighting cow call with alot of success and also another of my own design made from an elk leg. good luck

Duck
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 08:13:58 pm »
Good advise. Would you consider it a major mistake to not have a camp stove??
Scott

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 08:56:50 pm »
no, not if you've got a fire or something of the sort
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 11:31:12 pm »
As far as camp stoves go I have used plenty, on my treks we use them as infrequently as possible, but the jet boil remains my favorite, if you don't want to buy one campfires work fine. For a sleeping mat I go light weight and light cash and use a crazy creek, it is a soft foldable camp chair that I unclip and use as a mat, extra sleeping hat& socks, a good pack cover, and if there are bears just be smart about your smell-ables.
-billy
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 01:09:11 am »
Great Threat.....I am the buddy Scott is talking about and any advise would be helpful.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 09:11:58 am »
A small camp ax or tomahawk. And a small bottle of alcohol, great for starting a fire when everything is wet.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 09:24:10 am »
As far as food goes, do you tend to live on ramen noodles for a week or do you pack in dried meals? I'm curious what sort of meals people cook. I've been thinkin that it makes sense to dehydrate quite a bit of meat and fruit before the trip to save weight. Any camp favorites that I'm overlooking??

Scott

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 05:35:47 pm »
A good firesteel.. (Ferrocerrium rod.) from firesteel .com A good sleeping pad, inflatable with baffles.
(Thermarest)  Im a minimalist though. Just my ideas on what I use. with bears comming out of hibernation Everything should be resealble as far as food goes and even then should always be away from where you sleep.... hung high in a tree. 15 -20 feet or more.
Not all those who wander are lost.