Author Topic: What other things do make with a deer  (Read 11001 times)

Offline iowabow

What other things do make with a deer
« on: January 07, 2013, 05:50:19 pm »
OK you take a deer and yow have meat. Maybe you tan the hide. The ulna for knapping, antler for other stuff, back strap and sinew, bone for handles, ...what else are you guys making and from what parts?

1. Meat
       A. Food
2. tendons/backstrap/ intestines
       A. Cordage
       B. Glue
3. Hide
        A. Leather
        B. Glue
4. Bone/antler
          A. Tools
* ulna bone for awl and knapping tool
*ribs for scrapers
* other bones for points and handles
5. Stomach for pouch
          A. Cooking and maybe brain tannning
6. Hooves
          A. Decoration

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:06:30 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: What other things do make with a deer
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 06:23:04 pm »
leg bones for bone points, intestines for bowstrings, brains for tanning the hide,tails and ears for war trophies (or hunting trophies) i have deer and elk ears hanging from my back quiver, my dad calls them "my scalps", hair for tying flies, ribs for fleshing knives. that's all i can think of at the moment
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 07:21:33 pm »
I've boiled Deer feet, and slipped the "Toes" (black part) off let "Em dry and You can make wind chimes/door danglers out of them. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 09:19:43 pm »
like Chamookman,
we boil the feet to slip the hooves to make "leg rattles" .

we longhouse people in Okl. pierce the tip and put leather through and knot it. a bunch are made this way and
these are tied through ankle or leg straps.    the sound is to imitate rain and sky noises during our spring ceremonial dances.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 06:11:23 am »
Most of the above. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 08:37:10 am »
I often wonder what the stomach was used for.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 08:53:10 am »
I have heard a cooking pouch. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 02:14:00 pm »
How about tallow guys

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 03:38:15 am »
     All of the above.  The fat, like said for tallow, candles, soap, pemican, smearing it on fire kindling, etc.
The hooves can also be made into hide glue.  The marrow for soups, stews, and broths.  The bone can be crushed, or ground, and used to make case hardened steel.  Ulna for awl, or needle, Shoulder blade for a hoe, or cut saw teeth into one edge, and grind them flat, thin, and sharp, and use for cutting grasses, and reeds, and such.  Use the shoulder blades as large spatulas for removing cooking pots, from the fire, or use as large paddle tongs to do the same thing.  Doing scrimshaw on them, and setting them on the mantle.  Use the head meat, and tongue for food.  I have read where some of the plains tribes would take a buffalo stomach, and put chunks of meat in it, with the original contents still in there, and a little water, and tie off the ends, and put it on the coals.  I would imagine the woodland Indians would do much the same with deer.  Oh boy, doesn't that sound yummy! :P  Sounds like the N.A. Version of the Scot's Haggis, or however it is spelled.  It is a nasty concoction of various meats, and chunks of fat, and whatever runs across the counter, and stuffed into a sheep stomach! :o :P  I always thought, if I ever got to Scotland, I would try it just to say I did.  I would not buy the whole thing, I would try to get someone else to buy it, and then I would take a bite or two. ;)  ::) :P
The deer bladder could be used as a canteen, or dried, and sealed off, and made into a ball of sorts, for the kids to play with.  The southern kids used to use pig bladders for the same thing.  Could use the hide, and head of a buck, or I guess even a doe, and use it to get close to deer, during the rut.  The antlers, can be sawed into thin sections for buttons.  Not to mention for rattling during the rut.  The scrotum, can be tanned, and made into a change purse, or mojo pouch for your wo ti stone, or ......" ball ".....pouch, ::) ;) flints, picks,caps,  Muzzle covers, etc. for your muzzle loading rifle, or pistol.  That's about all I can think of, to add to the list. ;)

Wayne

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 04:33:24 am by stickbender »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 07:16:41 am »
Thats a great list wayne thanks for the post!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 11:10:07 am »
I use the tallow to grease my broad heads,metal of course and also add it sometimes to my pitch glue,the stuff will keep forever if you keep it in a cool fairly dry place. I thought about trying to render some of it down and see how it turned out. I feel sure it wouldn't be good to cook with but had lot of other uses,I seen Gary use it to seal a bow.Anyone tried rendering any ?  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 01:26:16 pm »
This is great! I compile all this into parts and uses as we go.

Offline sonny

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 09:23:51 pm »
I kept the lower jawbones from one I killed with a bow and have every intention of making a knife or two
from them, once I find a suitable stone or steel "blade" to haft to 'em.

I also fleshed the hide and let it dry as hair-on rawhide thinking that I'd likely use that for a quiver or other primitive
project but can't bring myself to cut it up..

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline primitivepaulette

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 09:41:47 am »
Intereesting thread. I shear the hair from my deerskins.. hate to pitch it.. it is very hard to till under but boy does it help the garden grow!

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 09:47:14 am »
Also the nasal bone for bone fishooks,leg bones also.The toe bones and antler tines for arrowheads.