Author Topic: What other things do make with a deer  (Read 11000 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: What other things do make with a deer
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 01:09:21 pm »
Good thread John.Pretty much all of the above I've used.Did'nt see parafleches or boxes out of rawhide[storage containers].Heard of but never did it that a bow can be sealed in deer intestine too.Lots of uses for about everything.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline primitivepaulette

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 03:12:18 pm »
Yes it is a fascinating thread, I'll agree. I have been shearing the hair off my deerskins and the hair is REALLY a pain if not impossible to till under but boy did it improve my soil when I used the hair in that way. I had the tallest sunflowers around and the tomatoes were especially crazy!I think since I washed the hair, then sheared it I could have used it for something other than fertilizer, just haven't done it. It might make good stuffing for something. I tried putting it on the floor of our horses stalls .. (cement floor for a little padding and warmth but they wanted to eat it.. so I quickly removed it.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 03:27:46 pm »
How about stuffing that deer hair in a tightly woven burlap bag and using it for an archery target?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 03:42:33 pm »
Well every time I scrape a hide deer will come out and check it out soooo... Scott and I thought it would make a lure.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline primitivepaulette

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 03:51:52 pm »
How about stuffing that deer hair in a tightly woven burlap bag and using it for an archery target?
Definately have enough to!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 08:15:09 pm »
I use the tallow to grease my broad heads,metal of course and also add it sometimes to my pitch glue,the stuff will keep forever if you keep it in a cool fairly dry place. I thought about trying to render some of it down and see how it turned out. I feel sure it wouldn't be good to cook with but had lot of other uses,I seen Gary use it to seal a bow.Anyone tried rendering any ?  :)
   Pappy
mark, I have. I have a small block in my fridge I used for waterproofing.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 08:59:50 pm »
I use the tallow to grease my broad heads,metal of course and also add it sometimes to my pitch glue,the stuff will keep forever if you keep it in a cool fairly dry place. I thought about trying to render some of it down and see how it turned out. I feel sure it wouldn't be good to cook with but had lot of other uses,I seen Gary use it to seal a bow.Anyone tried rendering any ?  :)
   Pappy
mark, I have. I have a small block in my fridge I used for waterproofing.
Hey Mullet what items do you water proof?
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JEB

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 09:56:13 am »
We just rendered 3  one (1#) coffee cans of tallow.  We use it when we heat self bow limbs to straighten the limbs out. We apply the tallow as we heat them limb.

AND I have made guitar picks out of the shoulder plate.  Neighbor girl came  over one day and asked me to make a pair of guitar pics for her as she was making guitar pic ear rings and selling them  for a fund raiser so I made her a bunch of them. I made a few more and gave them to a guy and his wife to play the guitar with.  He said they worked but were just a little stiff. 

Used to tie flies and used deer hair for the muddler minnow fly.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:46:05 pm by JEB »

Offline stickbender

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 06:17:19 pm »

Deer hair would not make a good stuffing, as it is hollow, and brittle.  It does make good lures, like flies, Muddler as said,  smaller floating flies, indicators for sinking flies, and popping bugs for bass, and hair frogs.

Wayne   

Offline n8tr boy

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 09:12:09 pm »
a friendof mine used deer bone to laminate a homemade long bone rizer handle. I have some leg bones here and may try that when get around to making my long bow this winter. too many other projects on the go right now that need priority.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 02:09:11 pm »
  I use ground anter in my pitch glue for filler. It's a lot clear than charcoal I can't see any difference than charcoal.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING