Author Topic: Arrow making? Not my skill  (Read 7376 times)

Offline tgtmatt

Arrow making? Not my skill
« on: January 07, 2013, 11:52:22 pm »
Okay well where to start? I've completed 2 bows now, both red oak. First one at 30lb, second around 50lb and I just can't get the trade of arrow making down. I buy the 3/8" dowels from craft stores or lowes, etc. And I have tried to spine test them and I did fairly well, I suppose. Now I just cant find any good way to make fletchings without feathers.. I have tried duct tape as a quick alternative so I could get to shooting my bow and to see how it worked but it just didn't seem to work out. My arrow rest would just rip the fletchings apart. Anyone have good ideas or advice on what I should do? I'll post some pictures of my "arrows".

Offline tgtmatt

Re: Arrow making? Not my skill
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 11:53:05 pm »
Is the second picture bamboo? Because there is a ton by my beach house and I cut some down to try it out and i'm pretty sure it is bamboo.

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 11:55:19 pm »
another picture

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 12:11:59 am »
I have tried duct tape and other substitutes, but nothing works like real feathers. Get some online or through the trading post. I mostly order precut feathers. Bamboo shafts will work- you'll need to dry them for months, learn to straighten them and you'll need to file and sand the nodes smooth like a dowel- some varities of bamboo are much better for this than others. like a bow, arrows are something that takes alot of time and it's own set of skills to learn. If you start "from scratch", an arrow can take many hours of exacting labor. For beginners, I reccomend buying a pre made shaft (not a dowel, but a shaft made for archery), and pre cut feathers. this will cost only a few bucks an arrow and will allow you to make a really nice arrow. once you see what that's like- graduate on to harvesting shafts, and splitting your own feathers.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 12:14:07 am »
You said it well, I guess I've just been procrastinating and trying to put it off because I hate to order something I could try and make. But I guess i'll order some supplies and begin. Hopefully I find something worth putting in the trading post and someone will send me a few arrows (;

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 12:18:03 am »
If my draw is 28" how long should my arrows be?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 12:21:36 am »
I draw 26" and cut my cane and hardwood shoot arrows to 29" to 30".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 12:24:04 am »
Okay thank you. It's kind of depressing having 2 bows and barely being able to shoot.

Offline aaron

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 12:24:18 am »
some nice cedar shafts are on trading post right now.....
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 12:29:58 am »
I saw that up there and thought about it, but I am still not sure how to straighten the shafts

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 12:50:06 am »
Where are you at?

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 08:39:35 am »
Location? South Carolina

Offline Calamitus

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 09:50:55 am »
Location? South Carolina

Me too. Spartanburg area. And you?

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 11:57:20 am »
Myrtle beach. I know a girl who goes to USC Upstate right in Spartanburg, I think it's about 3 or 4 hours away.

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 11:59:48 am »
3/8" dowels would be way over-spined for even a 50# bow. I've found they usually come out to about 90+#s spine, depending on wood type. Also, your duct tape fletchings won't work very well. They'll behave like plastic vanes... ie. they won't fly well at all out of traditional archery gear. Bite the bullet... get some properly spined arrow shafts and some feathers. Do you have any poultry producers in your area? There is a turkey producer near a friend of mine, and he can get me all the whole domestic turkey wings I want... free. It's a bit of work processing, but they're free. Why spend all the time making a bow if you're not willing to take the time (or spend the money) to make matching arrows?? Properly matched gear is a joy to shoot... unmatched equipment is just bloody frustrating!