Author Topic: Thread  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Calamitus

Thread
« on: January 08, 2013, 08:47:16 pm »
In the absence of sinew, what kind of thread could I use for wrapping arrows for reinforcement or for fletching?

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:56:15 pm »
I use heavy outdoor coat thread.  I get it at walmart for around $5 a spool.  It is very strong.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Newindian

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:11:53 pm »
a lot of people use artificial sinew
I like free stuff.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 09:45:06 am »
I make my own from Indian Hemp, grows everywhere and is easy to process into fine fibres.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 11:37:23 am »
I use half silk thread and half sinew, depends on my mood that day, or if Im after a certain color scheme. Silk thread is pricey, but last for a long time and is strong.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline danny f

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 03:22:23 pm »
i have just used black cotton on my arrows and coated them with fletching glue and they have never moved and the arrows have been well used. i  used this as its all i had at the time.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 06:47:59 pm »
I've soaked the hemp cord that crafts stores sell for jewelry in 50/50 TBIII and water for wraps on my bamboo (garden stake) arrows and on the wood ones I just made I used artificial sinew. Have to say that as far as the making goes I prefer the sinew. It's prewaxed and pretty cheap. Haven't shot it enough to know how durable it is yet.

Offline drwilson

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 09:09:50 pm »
I use braded fishing line.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 03:11:23 am »

Depending on how primitive you want to go, you can use natural material, modern thread, of which there is a great abundance of choices.  Personally, I am with Osage Outlaw, I prefer the upholstery thread at Wally World, or craft stores with a cloth section.  I have also used colored rayon, and nylon thread, it is small, and strong.  Also Power Pro small diameter fishing line works well also.  Basically, any small diameter, and strong thread.  Even regular cotton thread will work in a pinch.  I coat them all with a layer of super glue.  It adds a bit of protection from wear, and water proofs the cotton thread.  You can also use the thread, that is used to wrap custom fishing pole guides.  They come in various colors, and some come in multiple colors on the thread itself.  You can make some nifty crests on your feather, and nock wraps.  Also helps to locate a lost or "missed shot" arrow. ;)

Wayne

Offline randman

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 06:31:25 am »
unwaxed dental floss
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 11:51:56 am »
I use serving thread soaked in super glue. Then I coat it with clear nail polish. I've never had an arrow last long enough for the wrappings to wear, but then I tend to be reckless with my arrows while practicing. >:D

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 12:20:10 pm »
silk floss from the embroidery store

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 05:52:32 pm »
i use artificial sinew. Strong but doesnt hold glue very well is the only downside.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline agd68

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 10:55:44 pm »
x2 on the dental floss.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline Calamitus

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 12:40:14 am »
Some very good ideas, thanks all.