Author Topic: "Homemade" Bows......  (Read 10030 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: "Homemade" Bows......
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 10:44:21 pm »
People often confuse Primitive Archery with crude or ill-made equipment.  Maybe a better descriptive would be "pre-industrial"?

I shot a 3D course where there were 40 targets shot, starting out with the closest at 25 yds!  I'd only practiced out to 20 yds max, most shots at 10-15.  I was shooting my first bow, a 43# ash flatbow that wasn't particularly well designed and shot rather like a slug.  I was throwing 600 grain ash arrows at about 120 fps.  Needless to say, I was shooting "rainbow" arcs at all targets.  There were 3 of us shooting stickbows against 200 and some odd wheelie shooters.  I ended up in the top 50% and was the worst of the three stickshooters. 

It's not the wheels on the wheel bows that offend me.  But there is often an attitude that trends towards BUYING GEAR rather than building skills.  Granted, there are some folks in here that are constantly throwing perfectly good bows in the corner so that they can build the "flavor of the month" design, too.  But none of them delude themselves into thinking that they are going to kill a deer just because they showed up in the woods with a new bow. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 12:45:53 am »
When talking about selfbows I prefer to say "handmade" in place of "homemade".  Homemade sounds inferior.  Handmade speaks of quality workmanship.  Just a thought.

Yeah.  I agree.  I'm just quoting my buddy to emphasize the point.  He clearly thinks "Homemade" sounds inferior too.   Next time I'll correct him and see how he reacts. 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 01:01:20 am »
JW_Halverson  -  Cool story!  I hear you.  I've been guilty of throwing perfectly good bows in the corner to build another... that's for sure.  Sometimes I can barely finish one before I start 2 or 3 more.  But then I think most people here understand that.  Some only get shot in then put on the rack.  It's the building I like most I think.  Lately I've been paying more attention to the archer in me though.

yeah I think there is certainly a notion with some wheel bow guys that if you buy the most expensive newest bow then you will shoot better.  Just like new shoes make you run faster...wait don't they?

I started shooting again just over two years now but still don't feel good enough to take on the responsibility of hunting.  Granted I haven't been practicing my shooting real consistently either not until more recently.

Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline johnston

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 03:54:57 am »
Our deer season here in South Carolina starts on August 15th. Rifle season from the git go in the lower half of the state. Upper
half starts in middle of September with archery and front loaders kick off October 1st. By October 11 the whole state is use'em
if you got 'em. Plainly put, the idea of using a "primitive weapon" to extend your season just ain't valid. This season I hunted
with 3 of my "handmade" hickory bows, a powerhouse short bow from halfeye, a Samick Sage glass bow, a .308 Ruger rifle , a 12 ga. slug gun ,
and a .44 mag SuperBlackhawk. And did good.

My experience has been that whenever someone learns that I build bows they want one. No advantage to owning one but they want it. I ain't
real good at the process but one by one they will all eventually get something to shoot.

There is magic in letting loose...we need that. We all need that.

Offline bubby

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 06:29:57 am »
arrowind, you say that he's being nice, but the way that you say he said it sounds condescending , I'm probably wrong but that's how I would take it, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013, 03:47:27 pm »
arrowind, you say that he's being nice, but the way that you say he said it sounds condescending , I'm probably wrong but that's how I would take it, Bub

Hey bubby,
Yeah, I would think that too if I didn't know him very well.  He needs an education on primitive archery.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 03:41:11 pm »
Something I always ask wheelie bow shooters, "Do people say people can't take their eyes off your bow? Do they stand around asking questions about it?  Or do you ever find yourself running your eyes over your limbs with fond memories of just how they came to be?"

Face it, folks.  We're just too cool for most people.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 03:31:03 am »
Arrowind... Some of my best hunting stories don't and with a kill So don't focus on the kill part And you will find that The jerks with the wheelie Bows May come around And be customers And your best buddies Darn shame they had to snuff you Have fun with your passion and your craft All the others can jump in a lake ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 01:36:16 pm »
Folks are just folks ,you need to love them all !!
You may be the one that needs some love next !
I really don't care what they hunt with just want them to enjoy hunting !!
We are all at different stages and have different back grounds !
I don't have a hard time using most any equipment and will gladly share with others anything I know!
Please be loving educators !
Have fun !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !