Author Topic: Ipe/boo tiller ck please (update full draw)  (Read 6849 times)

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
Re: Ipe/boo tiller ck please (update for Del & Paleo
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 09:29:23 pm »
Bub, it sureeee do.  ;)

Stefan, thanks for the help. The profile is 2/3 limb 1/3 taper, that was suggested for me to try with this bow. I don't know a lot about this new hobbie yet, but I'm sure willing to learn  ;)

Ryoon, thanks for the advise. I don't see a problem with making changes, if that would help make this or any bow better. As I said I'm willing to learn and really appreaciate everyone advise, I can scrap more or taper more at this point, I think. But if it gets any faster, the arrows will catch on fire  >:D
 Bub, you sure about the right or did you mean left? The left is stiff out of the fade and scrap more at both tips?

Offline spyder1958

Re: Ipe/boo tiller ck please (update for Del & Paleo
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 10:09:50 pm »
It got dark before we could get photo's, so hope the indoor works.

Offline steve b.

Re: Ipe/boo tiller ck please (update full draw)
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 05:34:08 am »
I can tell by first glance that the tiller is good enough, for sure.  I can see why others like it. 
Personally, I would be wanting the outer limbs to bend just a little more.  I would brace it in a vice, belly up.  I would use a 6 or 8 or 10 inch straight edge on the belly on the upper limb and look at any gap that is between the straight edge and the limb.  I would then draw the bow on a stick to 16" or whatever and then take another look at that gap.  Because sometimes my eyes fool me when looking at the arc of a tillered limb from a distance.  But the straight edge doesn't lie.  If the gap increases the upper limb is bending.

Offline bubby

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 06:16:35 am »
it don't matter what I said before now, full draw look's sweet buddy, look's like ya got a winner ;), great job, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 08:25:51 am »
Yup, nice :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 11:09:15 am »
SWEET!! 8)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 11:56:41 am »
Looks like a stiff handled, elliptically tillered bow to me. And a very nice one as well. I can find no fault with the tiller on this bow. And the stiffer tips will make this bow fast.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 12:11:47 pm »
I think it's looking a little better but with that profile I think it needs to be far more elliptical. Keeping that parallel limb taper that far out into the limb means that it needs to do a lot more bending in that outer third.

adb, as wide as the outer limbs are in this bow the stiff tips have no advantage.

Offline adb

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 12:22:23 pm »
I think the person that made this bow should be proud and very happy with how it turned out. The tiller is very nice. It's not whip tillered or bending too much at the fades, and it's even. But, Ryan, you're the expert. This bow doesn't have the perfect profile or tiller, but it's very nicely done regardless. I'm guessing this person is newer to bow making, and he's done a great job with this bow. Also, if you make the outer limbs bend more on this bow, the tiller will become more round, not more elliptical.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 12:30:10 pm by adb »

Offline Will H

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 12:34:13 pm »
Yeah Ryan's the expert  :laugh: but like others said the tiller looks pretty good! Good job :) I'd be proud of it fella!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

blackhawk

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 12:41:13 pm »
Is it perfect? No...but who has ever made the perfect bow? ...no one...Can i find a spot or two that could use a few scrapes? Yes...Is it acceptable and good enough for most? Yes. Its fine...Shoot the snot out of it and enjoy it if its a comfortable weight for you.  Then go make another ;)

Offline RyanY

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 12:54:07 pm »
He asked for criticism on tiller so that's what I'm giving. You guys might need to get your eyes checked if you think I'm saying anything else about myself or this bow.  ;)

adb, if you weaken the outer limbs then the inner limbs will be stronger relatively so you could certainly get a more elliptical tiller from this bow although at the cost of draw weight. That's why I said save my criticisms for the next bow in my first comment.

Offline adb

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 02:54:37 pm »
Is it perfect? No...but who has ever made the perfect bow? ...no one...Can i find a spot or two that could use a few scrapes? Yes...Is it acceptable and good enough for most? Yes. Its fine...Shoot the snot out of it and enjoy it if its a comfortable weight for you.  Then go make another ;)

+1

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 03:27:36 pm »
Looks fine to me. Good job.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline spyder1958

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 01:47:50 am »
Thanks everyone for all the input.
as I stated in a previous post I had forgot the trick of using the gizmo. So I ck it today and it did show a couple spots that were flat, did a little scraping, but didn't get any shooting in today. I'll get it shot in and finish the handle, finial sanding, rub some tung oil in and post it up.
Also finish tiller a ash 68" today for my son-inlaw for his B-day. its on the form getting flip tips, and a deep heat treat with teak oil burn in. I'll get it posted soon. Time to start another ipe for my youngest daughter.
Again, I really appreciate ever one's comments.
Have a great day,
       graylan