Author Topic: Why did this bow break?#2  (Read 8573 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Why did this bow break?#2
« on: October 15, 2007, 07:23:58 pm »
   It was interesting to see all the possible reasons the oak bow broke in the other post.So I thought we could try it again.This is the bow I made for my Grandson I posted back in July.It's made from an oak board from Home Depot.But it's silk backed.By the way ,the grandson wasn't strong enough to pull it very far.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: Why did this bow break?#2
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 07:33:17 pm »
It might help to see edge grain,          by the looks of it, I have no idea.
       Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 07:35:12 pm »
Gonna be curious to see this one myself....looks just like the one that slapped my nephews dad upside the nose this summer.  Similar break, backed with two layers of drywall tape.  Could the silk backing in this case (or the drywall tape in my case) have something to do with it????

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 07:42:55 pm »
That bow looks like it broke across the back possibly because of it was too dry or a flaw in the wood like fungi. If the bow bent too much in that area that could cause it also. Sometimes wood bows break just because! ???      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 08:39:46 pm »
Are you saying that sometimes wood just doesnt want to be a bow???

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 08:50:31 pm »
I think a gouge across the limb could also be a possibility causing a hinge. But I'm gonna go with a bad spot in wood due to fungus, rot, insects whatever due to the fact its such a localized break.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 08:52:28 pm »
Stiknstring, Sometimes they break for no apparent reason...but not very often.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 09:32:55 pm »
this is kinda like CSI,I'm curious at the guesses.When the responce slows down I'll tell everybody how it happened. I can guarantee there will be quite a few that knows.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 09:53:05 pm »
Too much grain run off. Look at the belly. The lines should be straight. tip to tip. jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 11:12:37 pm »
I agree with Jawge, the break is right at the run off point.
Hey Jawge didn't you used to say something about the wood having a bow in it when you got a successful bow. I remember something like that from a few years ago when you were helping me out with board bows.
VB

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 11:35:12 pm »
   Yep,Jawge and VB are right.And I learned that from Jawges' site.That was the first board bow I made.I thought the run off would be okay since the yung'n was only 6 and couldn't pull the 20#'er back to 16 ".Well,on his 6 birthday,and this is the part I was talking about a few of you have seen.The other Grandpa,after a few beers,said, "this is a cool bow",as I said,"NOOOO",Pow! It broke at around 26".This bow was only about 46".If nothing else,If you are using a questionable board at least back it with something.It helped this bow take some nasty abuse.
Lakeland, Florida

jcougar

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 11:35:35 pm »
I'd say it was too dry.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 12:35:34 am »
VB, I think I did say that. I tend to take incredible chances with marginal log staves. I'm really picky with boards though. LOL. mullet, I'm glad your grandchild was not drawing that bow when it broke.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 11:18:29 am »
Id have to say it was the grain, and boards from the depot, well its almost impossible to find a board of bow quality. Ive made several from boards,broke a few,had some good ones too.  just recently bought rudderbows new dvd how to make a bow,it deals with boards only, explains what kinda grain  to look for in a board,and how to from start to finish. Pretty good over all,they dont show how to make a tillering stick, but show how to use it well.I copied theirs cause I liked it better than the one I had.  Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 11:32:22 am »
I just followed Georges directions on his site to select a board and have only had problems with those that I decided to try AGAINST my better judgement.  Sometimes you just have to find out how far you can push some wood with a particular backing in the name of science.