Author Topic: My Weekend Hunt  (Read 6292 times)

tradrick

My Weekend Hunt
« on: October 15, 2007, 08:33:40 pm »
I was reading Armymedic2 post on the hunting shows and how some so called hunters are these days and it got me thinking.I hunted this weekend in the woods behind my home.I don't own much land but it joins a good bit of woods and fields.Anyway,I had made a ground blind out of limbs and dead falls.To make a long story short I was in the blind Sunday morning when 3 does came in.I hunkered down preparing for the shot as I seen them approach at about 70 yards.They quickly walked straight towards me up the trail I was hunting near.One doe got within 15 yards to my right and the other 2 were at about 20 to 22 yards straight in front of me.I had already gotten as low as I could but they still felt that something was'nt right.There was no wind to speak of but the doe at 15 yards immedately started stopping her hoof and blowing at me.Which of cource alerted the other 2.Now all 3 were stompping and blowing.I stayed motionless.They bolted and ran about 50 yards and stopped.A few minutes later the biggest doe came back in.At about 20 yards I had a perfect broadside shot,but there was a small tree in the path of her vitals.I was hopeing she would step out just a little bit more but she turned and joined the other 2.And all 3 drifted out of site.The whole time I was thinking how exciteing to be on a hunt and have critters this close.It was deffinately what I would consider a successful hunt.Seeing critters in the wild matching witts with them and most of the time looseing.I love it what a challenge.I don't have to bring home a dead critter to be sucessful.And I think thats whats wrong with alot of hunters these days.Happy hunting everyone.tradrick

Offline DanaM

Re: My Weekend Hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 08:58:57 pm »
Same to you buddy, sounds like a good time.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 09:55:44 pm »
  Yep,that's the part I like.But I do like venison too. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 06:01:24 am »
That is what it is all about,never gets old to me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

jamie

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 08:06:30 am »
yup, i have to explain to people all the time that the killing isnt the only reason i hunt. theres things ive seen happen in the woods that they only see on tv.

makete

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 09:04:18 am »
Yep getting the ole ticker pumping to beat the band is what it should be all about. It sure is the cats meow ;D. When all the excitement stops so should I. Good to hear someone is out there having fun. Good luck.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 10:45:12 am »
right on brother.  i got winded yesterday by 8 deer after i closed the distancve from about 200 to 35 yards.  there is a huge difference between getting to 40 yards, and getting to 20.  continue to enjoy  ;D
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 12:12:40 pm »
Sounds like a good hunt - I too like venison though. Am still beatin myself up for not drawing on that twelve yard buck coupla weeks back, waiting on that perfect shot.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 06:49:29 pm »
Amen! There is so much more to hunting than the actual harvesting of an animal. The harvest, when it happens, is the ultimate bonus to the experience. So many people miss out and just don't get it. Good post tradrick and good luck hunting.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

tradrick

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 09:11:12 pm »
Thanks for the responces.And it was alot of fun.Can't wait til the weekend to see if I can do it all over again.I new the traditional hunters on here would know were I was comeing from.And when you connect with gear you made yourself,thats going to make that venison taste that much better.Lets go huntin.tradrick