Author Topic: need some flint  (Read 4339 times)

Offline Strongbow88

need some flint
« on: October 15, 2007, 10:22:57 pm »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I live in southern Alabama, Dothan to be exact. I would like to knapp my own point. Is there any where in Alabama to find some good flint? Or any where to buy some.
Danny Johnson

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: need some flint
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 10:54:32 pm »
   There is some nice flint in northern Ala,near Huntsville,Mussleshoales,southern Tenn.,Hoenwalde,Nashville.Or you can make some very sharp,hunting points out of glass and learn alot of knapping technique on cheap material too.Also Johnstone and Thunder chert can make some fine points(bathroom ceramics)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 02:01:20 am »

I remember seeing an article on a state park in Alabama, and it showed one of the park personnel knapping during a demonstration, in front of a cave, that had been occupied long ago.  I can't remember where it was, but the flint look pretty nice.
By the Way, my Mother was from Dothan.

Dtick Bender

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 10:28:40 am »
From what I've heard over the years, you should be sitting right in the middle of a belt of Coastal Plains chert. There's also some nice Tallahatta quartzite somewhere in South Alabama.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 11:39:37 pm »
Go to the new garbage dump, the rocks they are digging up are costal plains.  It will need heat treating.  Go west to Monroe county, look in the creeks in the western part of the county around bridges.  You should be able to find some Talahatta quartzite.  Some of the rip rap used around Mobile is coral.  It also needs to be heat treated.  The Chatahoochie River has deposits of Flint River coastal plains and low grade Buffalo River chert.