Author Topic: Is sinew worth the effort?  (Read 7455 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Is sinew worth the effort?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 10:13:12 pm »
you wont get nearly as much reflex out of it
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 11:33:17 pm »
Hide glue will probably be more work than TB, but you will get more benefit from the sinew.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 03:28:54 am »
Sinew is too magical to pass up.

It gets easier over time. You'll get your own rhythm for it.
Then it goes pretty quick. Then it's just a waiting game :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline okie64

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 08:09:34 am »
you wont get nearly as much reflex out of it

What are you basing that on? Have you tried it with different glues or are you simply going off what someone else has told you? Im not trying to be a smart a%$, Im just curious what makes you believe that?

Hide glue will probably be more work than TB, but you will get more benefit from the sinew.

Do you mean it will make the sinew work more by pulling the limbs into more reflex?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 08:21:00 am »
Yes and yes,tb will work and hold down the sinew but it drys way quicker so won't let the sinew draw like hide glue which dries at about the same rate as the sinew. Putting it on with tb is more or less for protection,And yes I have used it both ways. :) If I am going to the trouble of sinew it will be with hide glue, otherwise I just use rawhide and TB3. jmo.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline okie64

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 08:42:14 am »
Thanks for the info Pappy, that makes sense to me.

blackhawk

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 08:58:32 am »
I'm with pappy..I have used both as well and hide glue is better..plain n simple. To add to what pappy said take a thin slat board and rip it in half lengthwise..coat one with hide glue,and coat one with titebond...and guess what happens...the hide glue alone will pull the slat into some reflex as it shrinks,but titebond will not. If you use titebond you basically have to induce that reflex,and yes it'll work,but you won't get as much shrinkage from the sinew it and won't be maximizing the sinew to its full potential IMHO. And yes guys use TB for sinew,but do you see hornbow bowyers using it?  Nope...hmmm..I wonder why?

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 09:59:56 am »
I guess it's how you look at it.  I don't look at sinewing bows as "work".  Rather, something I enjoy investing all my time and energy into.  I see it for what it will be once I'm done with it (a meat maker).  So, yes it is worth my time and effort. 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 10:03:30 am »
Just the few sinewd bows I've done I'd say it's worth it.Even at 60" long.To me it's all about after shot profile and sinew done right on the right bow will show more after shot reflexed profile in most cases negating the weight.Like Bryce said the process gets easier every time.Not the waiting though.
Hide glue is best.Also there's more uses for sinew besides backing a bow.Mostly wraps but it's hard to beat for effectiveness.It's a good tool to have around.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 12:54:35 pm »
ok some might call me crazy but about 2 weeks ago i sinew backed a 70" r/d ironwood longbow i had it braced at about 5" and was looking good tiller-wise, but it had really bad runoff grain, i had rawhide but was saving it for another bow so i sinewed just the working limbs, so the last 8" of the limbs have no sinew the limbs are 1.5" at the fades and a straight taper to just under 3/8" nocks, it's not a really fast bow but it's no dog either, it has about 3" of reflex and 1" of deflex in the 15" closest to the fades, it has verry little string follow (less than 1/2") and it's extremely stable with no hand shock and i can eisely put 6 arrows in pieplate at 30 yards, so maybe the sinew wasn't needed but on the other hand i have a real good shooting stable bow. so yes i think sinew is worth the effort if used in the right way a bow that would work without sinew should not be sinewed.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 06:05:13 pm »
The first time I did a sinew job I thought it was a real pain.  Like anything, with a little practice and practical experience, the job isn't so bad.  Processing the sinew is probably the worst part of it all.  Those tendons are tough stuff to pull apart!  I do three or four and my hands get tired.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline raghorns

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 09:20:03 pm »
I just sinewed my first. It's a 60 in. hop horn beam. It had a bad dent in the middle of the bottom limb that wanted to put out a tiny longitudinal crack...rather than wrap the spot, I thought it was a good opportunity to use the backstrap sinew I had processed.

I appreciated Mike Yancey sharing with me about the one finger, "pat / pat / pat" method. I agree that it is only work if you have that mindset. I was once in the garden complaining to myself and feeling miserable, when I got a cell phone call from a friend...he ask, "what are you doing?" I answered, "i'm in the garden", and before I could start complaining, he said, "well you're doing what you enjoy." I knew he was right...the rest of the day was a joy.

Building bows is such a joy...may it never be anything else.

Lyle     

Live Life at Full Draw

Offline okie64

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 08:12:23 am »
Thanks for all the responses and opinions fellers. I probably will try some again, I think at the time that I posted this topic I was just a little frustrated with the time it took and the mess that it made. The stave had 2.5 inches of reflex starting out so we'll see how it turns out.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 08:42:06 am »
You will refine your techique as you do more, its gets mush easier trust me. I stay away from leg tendons and use only back tendons as well, they are much easier to process.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 10:54:36 am »
I'd prefer to just have a self bow, mainly because its just less work.

Most of my bows are hickory areund 60-65" long so they don't really benefit that much.
And because I'm not yet that good of a hunter, I'd have to buy the sinew which doesn't work well with my $0 bow budget.  :)

I did make a west coast short bow last year that was a self and took a good bit of set, I could see that bow with a sinew backing and some extra reflex.

I've also used hemp backing to repair a bow which had a real bad back splinter and it still works today. That is another reason I'd back.

For me, its worth it on a short bow or a damaged bow, but I prefer my longer bows just as they are.  :)
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."