Author Topic: If the king and yew were dead ?  (Read 6553 times)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Re: If the king and yew were dead ?
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2013, 01:29:28 pm »
Thats easy, Serviceberry, Hawthorn, Apple, Mountain Maple......
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2013, 01:34:20 pm »
Here's a kink.....  not all bow woods are the same even within the same species....  I am still a fledgling but I've built bows from Mulberry, Hackberry, Kentucky Coffee Tree, Yew, Vine Maple, Hickory, Sassafras, Oak, ERC, Osage...  I think that's all.... But the point is I made a Mullbury bow from a stave that had more potential than any of the Osage staves in the rack also a Hackberry that come in to be the fastest bow I've made but the staves were exceptional pieces for their species???

Maybe one species has better qualities in general than another but when you start with a great stave of any species and work it into the correct dimensions and tiller correctly for that species....  I've seen to many of you guys create amazing bows with just about everything under the sun.....   

Found a Catalina Ironwood tree and am working on the owner for a limb....  wish me luck!!! I also got permission to cut some Bay Laural on a Buddy's place (I've been neglecting California woods)...........
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2013, 03:12:39 pm »
I don't know anything about the woods you guys from back East use, but as for me living on the west coast I'll take vine maple over anything!
Dale

"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2013, 03:52:18 pm »
Eastern Hophornbeam for me, but i havent tried Vine Maple yet. :)
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline randman

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2013, 08:50:30 pm »
Have to vote with my NW Clan: Vine maple, Ocean Spray, Purple leaf plum (we got streets lined with the stuff)  in that order only because VM is a cinch to season where OS is a little dodgy (got that from my Brit friends) to season successfully.

And Coaster, definitely try the Bay Laurel. Makes a real snappy bow, very responsive to heat treating and is really an under rated and little mentioned bow wood.

Oh and I forgot to mention Scotch Broom (another of my favorites).
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline bow101

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2013, 09:42:35 pm »
 :) :) :) Maple, seems like it is a good core wood as well in laminated bows. :laugh:......We won't mention the Chemical bows....lol
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell