Author Topic: backing a fiberglass bow  (Read 6138 times)

Offline darwin

backing a fiberglass bow
« on: January 16, 2013, 11:28:03 pm »
I got a cool fiberglass bow, the only one that I own, but the limbs are just plain black. I thought some snake skin might look awesome. Anyone ever snake backed a fiberglass bow?

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: backing a fiberglass bow
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 11:33:42 pm »
Asking about fiberglass bows in here is kinda like ording a ham sandwich at a good Jewish deli.

How about a cheap roll of camoflage duct tape? 

Or go to the kitchen department of the hardware store and buying some of that adhesive backed plastic that you line drawers and shelves....pick the woodgrain stuff and use that?

Ok, how about buying a 12 pack of your favorite bottled adult beverage of choice and soaking off the labels and applying those to the back of the bow.  Actually, that would look kinda cool, there are some really neat labels on some of the microbrews out there. 

But for the snake skin option, a lot of guys here have been posting bows they have backed with the snakeskin fabric purchased from the PA advertiser, 3Rivers.  They sell a rattlenake pattern as well as a really nice copperhead.  I imagine you would want to scuff the effing-glass with sandpaper, wash with acetone to prep.  Mix two part epoxy that you get in the hardware store in the double syringes, cut it 50/50 with some more of that acetone.  Paint the back of the bow, stretch the fabric across, and wet scrape with a rubber spatula and more epoxy/acetone mix to lay it down tight.  Kinda like laying up another layer of effing-glass.  Sand with finer and finer grit until you get the smoothness you desire and a last layer of epoxy/acetone cut with 75% acetone applied with a smooth brush.

And as always, post your pics!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:41:49 pm by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 12:12:35 am »
You can add snake skins to FG bows with TBIII glue just like with a wood bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 06:45:20 am »
Just light sand it and skin it like a selfbow,works great.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:49:35 am »
Ive done several. Much easier than wood bows as they are flat and symmetrical. TBIII works great. You will need a exacto knife, duct tape and glue. The exacto will trim the skins tight to the edge and the duct tape will take the scales off. Then just spray or wipe a finish over them, be sure to seal the edges where the skin and glass meet.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline darwin

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 11:01:23 am »
Thanks guys i know fiberglass is kind of an off topic but just thought id ask (that why i brought it up here instead of under bows)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 11:26:17 am »
No problem at all. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 12:44:42 pm »
I put SSs on a FG bow once. I used an industrial barge cement (kinda like contact cement). Worked OK. No wiggle room, however. Once they make contact, you can't move them around.

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 10:54:03 pm »
I like Glass bows to be honest.   :D

I own a few.  I shot em a lot .  Mostly cause I can't shoot worth a hoot.   :D

My Blackwidow is a fine example of a nice longbow.   >:D

I put skins on a Martin longbow once with Pappy's help.  It turned out wonderful.  Used TBIII like he said.  FInish was with Truoil.  It was easier then doing it on a self bow for sure.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 10:33:51 pm »
Thanks guys i know fiberglass is kind of an off topic but just thought id ask (that why i brought it up here instead of under bows)

That's the only thing that saved you from being duct taped to a chair and forced to watch Oprah Winfrey re-runs all day!   ;D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline littlehunters19862011

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 06:26:11 pm »
   this guy did it to his pse impala recurve and it looks grate http://www.youtube.com/user/ShinBone5000?feature=watch