Author Topic: What can I do with a bag of beaver tails?  (Read 12688 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
What can I do with a bag of beaver tails?
« on: January 19, 2013, 01:00:07 am »
A co-worker had a beaver problem on his land and had a trapper come take care of them.  When he found out that I had an interest in weird things such as beaver tails, he started collecting them for me.

I figured I'd use them for bow handle wraps, but I'm wondering if you guys have any other ideas about how I could use them.  Also, if anyone has any tips on fleshing them, or even possibly tanning them (so they're more flexible, like leather), I'd love to hear it.  Thanks!

Offline stickbender

Re: What can I do with a bag of beaver tails?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 01:12:29 am »

Check out the beaver tail pouch by Primitive Paulette.   ;) 8)

Wayne

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 07:01:36 am »
There is also some one looking for beaver tails right now on the trade blanket.  Maybe trade some to get something you can use?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 07:29:22 am »
Cameroo....I would vegetable or bark tan those beaver tails for your self.They are useful as knife sheath covers,bow handle wraps,bow strike plate arrow passes,bags and pouches and other things too besides what I mentioned here.I've vegetable tanned a few hides and it is not that hard.If you want to do the fetch yourself method from the woods with oak bark it can take weeks to get done but a shortened method is to look through taxidermy catalogs and you can get the materials quicker with less work with the same results.The nice thing about your beaver tails being small enough is you can do it in a 5 gallon bucket.The tanned beaver tails cost upwards of 30 dollars from other suppliers.That's just one half side of one too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 08:25:40 am »
Heck just skin, flesh and dry them. There are always folks looking for them. They probably carry some weight in the Trading Post.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 09:58:02 am »
Stickbender - I'll do that, thanks!

Stringstretcher - I saw that earlier.  The thing is shipping rates can be pretty high to the states from here.  It cost me $40 just to send and armguard down there a while ago, so I'd have to make it worth my while.  Plus I don't know if I want to get rid of any just yet :)

Beadman, I think I'll look into that.  I know Tandy Leather sells some kind of tanning solution, but I haven't looked into what type it is. 

Pearly - I've worked with raw beaver tails before, and I just think they would be more useful being tanned. 

I haven't really looked through the bag yet, it's still sitting frozen in the trunk of my car.  I'm not sure how many are even in there, but some of the them looked pretty big!

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 10:05:43 am by Cameroo »

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 12:21:48 am »
Hey Cameroo:  I would be one of them fellers lookin' for some beaver tail, Ifin you wanna trade!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 12:33:58 am »
Hey Cameroo:  I would be one of them fellers lookin' for some beaver tail, Ifin you wanna trade!

I'll keep you in mind Matt, once I see what I end up with.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 09:09:04 pm »
What can you do with a bag of beaver tails?  Beat somebody up with them, they won't leave any bruising ;D