Author Topic: RED OAK BACKING  (Read 2141 times)

Offline L33Twolf90

RED OAK BACKING
« on: January 22, 2013, 08:53:12 pm »
hello everyone, i just recently made a red oak flat bow and when i was sanding it to apply a finish i noticed a small
line along the edge of the the back which seems to be a small splinter. during tillering it never showed up, till now. so to help prevent that splinter from rising or creating a problem i added a simple "brown paper" backing applied with some titebond. Was this a good aid and can i add a reflex to the bow. Any feedback would really help out. thanks.

Offline lostarrow

Re: RED OAK BACKING
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 10:18:09 pm »
Any heating should be done before gluing on any backings as most glue is heat sensitive and likely to fail. Adding reflex to an already comprimised bow would only make the problem worse . You would be adding more stress to the limbs to even get it braced. If your backing holds , enjoy your bow ,. If it doesn't , make another and learn from your last. ;) I suspect you were planing on doing that anyway.

Offline L33Twolf90

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 10:24:27 pm »
the backing held find and thanks for the tip lostarrow. its shoots really good also. i did notice a slight decrease in arrow speed after the backing dried. and i definately plan on making more. this was my second attempt at a bow and first success. im completely hooked =D

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 12:16:34 am »
Be sure to round off all your edges. A sharp edge will likely result in a problem like yours.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 01:03:15 am »
Lots of help here to get you going! congrats on your first shooter.

Offline L33Twolf90

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 02:32:18 pm »
thanks again. this really helps. i cant stop shooting. now i want to go out and start hunting.