Author Topic: Cresting quick,cheapand easy.  (Read 6100 times)

Offline lostarrow

Cresting quick,cheapand easy.
« on: January 22, 2013, 10:49:57 pm »
Just thought I would post some pics of the simple cresting set up I use. Made from a few scraps . Dollar store Acrylic paints,foam brushes  ,1 good liner brush and not much more . 1 end is fixed while the other end swivels (1 screw from bottom ) .The one that swivels has a hole right through, the fixed has a hole about 1/2 way, slightly smaller in dia. and  countersunk. Shaft is spun with the left hand and painted with the right. I use the foam brushes  for a smooth finish and because they come in different sizes which makes it easy to repeat patterns on subsequent arrows. The paint and shelac dry so quick that I can move on to my next colour by the time I finish the first  on 6 arrows. If I stain ,I let it dry overnight before a few coats of shelac. The shelac dries quick , so 3-4 coats can be applied  with just a few minutes in between as long as you don't overwork it.Do your thin accent lines with the liner brush first then work the field (wider bands ) up to them slowly with the foam brush to give a nice fine line. By starting away from the line, it will even out the flow from the brush and give a nice crisp edge with greater control. If you load the liner brush and the make a few strokes with one side only on some scrap paper,you will have a brush that is loaded on one side only. This technique allows you to make a finer line with one crisp edge (the other edge is cleaned up later by covering with another colour)  Just the way I do it. As always , I'm open to any suggestions or insights , and willing to answer any questions. I like my arrows to be distinct but don't want to be worried about losing them, so quick and cheap, without compromising aesthetics was my ultimate goal.

Offline bowsandroses

Re: Cresting quick,cheapand easy.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 11:30:12 pm »
Sweet idea and fine looking cresting job ;)
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 09:12:10 am »
I like it wish I would have seen it before I bought mine to do cresting still might have to make one.
Rob

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 09:38:30 am »
I like the coral snake pattern you got going!  Sends out the message that the arrow is lethal.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 11:54:07 am »
My son was really into snakes and wanted his arrows to look like coral snakes. I liked the pattern and decided to do some for myself .Nothing beats those natural paterns. It really looks nice with black and yellow fletch.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 10:26:50 pm »
I've been into snakes and all reptiles since I was a kid.  Next roadkill snake I find I'm picking up to put the skin on some arrows.  I found a dead coral snake on the road a while back.  That would have looked sweet on one of your arrows!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 01:46:16 am »
Really cool.  I like it!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 06:25:31 pm »
   thank you for posting this. it makes things easier. very very cool !

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Don

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 10:23:41 pm »
Thanks for posting.
Made one and used it today. Works great.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 10:32:42 pm »
No problem. If anyone finds a modification to make it quicker or easier , I'm open to suggestions.I only make a dozen every other month or so,so this is something I  can just hang on the wall for the rest of the time.