Author Topic: I'm excited!  (Read 4445 times)

Offline sleek

I'm excited!
« on: January 24, 2013, 05:43:59 am »
  About this exact time last year, I was out fishing in a river with my son and a friend of mine. We werent catching anything, so we were goofin off with the 22 and BB guns, shootin random lures and bobbers that were  tangled in tree branches. Lots of fun if y'all haven't tried it. Well here come floating down the river a nice long branch that a beaver had made a healthy snack of. It was fairly straight, a few kinks, and about 2 inches wide. I think, man, bet I can make a bow outta that, so I real my rod in, tie a big snaggin trebble on an cast on top to bring it in. All the while my buddy is laughin at me beaver like habits of always eyeballin wood.

A few months later, I was having massive elbow pain from shooting bows all the time, and decided I need a lighter weight target shooting bow around a 30 #er. I grab that beaver stick and look at the back. All the teeth marks were there, but somehow beavers are very careful when eating bark, and didn't actually hurt the wood. I decide to leave the markings. Being no arborist, I decide this sapling looks an awful lot like ash and treat it as such. I heat treated the belly, and decided to leave the stave naturally deflexed. The bow came out a nice shooter, and I shot it allot.

Well one day a fellow post an add, saying he is needing a native style bow for a museum exhibit in North Carolina to represent bows that may have been used by the natives of lost tribes in the Yadkin Valley. Well, I reckoned this bow was about as native as it could get considering the history of it, and if I were a native, I would have dove into the water for the stave, seeing as it was already cut and debarked. Half the hard word done already right? So After some talking back and forth, the gentleman decided my bow would fit right in and that he would like my bow and an arrow I made of a shoot from a bush I found at a lake in the museum display.

They Finally got the exhibit up and running, and he just sent me a pic of the exhibit. I still have to make him a proper squirrel hide string for the bow, as the one on it is hemp, and not very authentic. Soon as I can get my butt out into the woods I will make good on that end of the deal. Anyways, here are some pics of the bow as I built and tillered it out. The handle had a section where a large knot made the bow kink there making the tiller look off, more than it really is. The limbs enter into it at different angles.

Here it is with an arrow I made in the museum. My arrow is the one with the tied on white fletching, Not the nice looking river cane with Cherokee fletching.

Sorry for the book I just wrote and all the pics, but I am excited and wanted to share.

Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: I'm excited!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 05:48:40 am »
Cool story and good looking bow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 05:53:56 am »
Thank you. Here is a quote from the Gentleman who arranged all this. "We've already had several hundred school children come through on pre-arranged tours. It's been a big hit with the kids and the adult population seemed well pleased, as we are."

That quote is the best part of the whole story. Maybe, some child will walk through, see a stick and string, and have it strike the primal chord thats in us all. That would be awesome.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 08:40:56 am »
Now thats just too cool sleek. Very primitive looking bow.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 09:14:44 am »
Awesome! Nice bow, and cool story.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Will H

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 09:29:55 am »
The beaver bow. Very cool!  :o
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 09:44:01 am »
    As you should be (excited), congrats.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 10:57:24 am »
What would be even better is if that guy could arrange for you to walk around the corner during one of those tours and string it up and shoot it at a target on the wall. I'm just betting 99% of those folks don't consider that your bow is a viable weapon still! Kudos to you for your work and neat story!

Scott

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 11:09:08 am »
No appologies needed on your story, its a good one. I like your attitude on hoping it strikes a cord in a youngster. I love the story on the beaver branch. I say way to go. Nice job on the bow too by the way. Any idea what kind of wood it is? What did you finish it with? Bear grease would have been good. If none was available pork fat would be related and probabely available.

Its always nice to see one of bow making brothers make an impact int their world through this wonderful thing we are so obsessed with. Kept in proper balance I think its a healthy obsession.

Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline rps3

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 11:31:23 am »
I enjoyed reading your story, it made me smile. I like the idea of showing up and shooting the bow too.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 02:08:34 pm »
 Very inspirational read. I have a couple beaver trimmings as well. Maybe I need to get them out!

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 02:29:32 pm »
Well done.  :
Steve Bennett

Offline Don

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 06:20:28 pm »
That's awesome sleek, cool story to.

Offline seabass

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 06:38:46 pm »
great job and nice story.you are right,it just may strike a cord with those youngsters.way to pass it on.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 08:54:10 pm »
Very neat!  Here beaver prefer hackberry and elm over everything else...