Author Topic: a question for all on this forum.  (Read 6336 times)

Offline mitchman

a question for all on this forum.
« on: October 17, 2007, 11:32:47 pm »
i am making a list for books and dvd/vhs  's  that i want  for Christmas so i can learn. does anyone have the set of traditional bowers bible that they may want to part with for cheap. and what movies and books do you recommend for making arrows, making bows and definitely one on flintknapping( i really want to learn that art).  i cant spend a lot but would like to learn a lot.

thanks everyone,

mitch

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: a question for all on this forum.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 12:07:30 am »
I cant part with my bible!  :o I cant immagine anyone selling their TBB.   My memory isn't that good, I go back and read them all the time.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 10:40:46 am »
Id reccomend Jim Hamms bows&arrows of the native americans,covers sinew backing,composite bows,strings,found mine on ebay for 8.00 w/ship,also all of the primitive wilderness skills books by John&Geri McPherson are good. They do it all,bows,arras,braintanning,fire&cordage,primitive tools and more I think there ten books they have done,and several vidieos of same.Ive got another book,Making arrows the old way,it really good,but my copy(rummage sale) is missing the cover-dont know who the author is.Also recoomend Glenn St. Charles Billets to Bow,very good especially on splicing limbs! Dean Torges book is good too. And I also reccomend reading Maurice Thompsons the Witchery of Archery,Some info mostly entertainment,but I love it. And dont forget your library,they can get for you what they dont have and you can soak that up for free,letting you save up for the ones youll want. Hope that is a start for ya. Auggie
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 04:11:40 pm »
www.horsefeathersranch.com  ;)

Ask SarahAnne about gift certificates.   ;D
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 05:19:06 pm »
The Traditional Bowyer's Bible vol. 1, Jim Hamm's Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans, D.C. Waldorf's The Art of Flintknapping.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Dane

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 07:58:00 pm »
Id recommend the two volume Korean horn bow video, DVD or VHS. How to Craft the Asiatic Composite Bow by Schmidt and McPherson I really like. And the Crafting the Flemish String video by 3 Rivers is good. I had a heck of a time figuring out reverse twisting until I watched that.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

jamie

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 08:40:23 pm »
best book and cheap is comstocks bent stick. it'll get ya started .also i know a whole lot of people learned what they are doing from jawges web page. i just dont have the link . but he'll pop in. waldorf for knapping. and dont forget that you are at "the" place for bow making. just ask questions. peace

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 02:21:44 am »
I do  ;D ;D ;D http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
Most decent libraries have at least a couple of the titles mentioned.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah