Author Topic: TX Get-Together?  (Read 21801 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: TX Get-Together?
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2013, 03:49:25 pm »
Had a great time!
Thank You for Hosting again George!
I will definitely bring a Hog Gun to the next Burlington Get Together...   :)
Thank You for the Osage, Hog Meat, Hide and Bone!!!

Thank You Nathaniel (Sasquatch) for the Fine rock and Purty ERC Staves!

It was Great to see you Mr. Tower!

Knapper, it was a Pleasure to meet you Sir!
Thank You for the Coyote Head Pelt!
It's a Beauty!

Had a Blast running around Knapping, Snake Hunting and looking for Pigs...  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline seider

« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2013, 04:15:05 pm »
I wish I could have mad it but the airospace industry is pretty demanding.. When the goverment wants something you stay at work and make it.. I have been working from 7am to 7pm to try and finish up some things I was going to leave work at noon on sat and head that way with my boy he is 5 and loves to play with flint and chase rocks. But I ended up having to work late did not get off work until 9pm.  Maybe one of these days i can make it and meet everyone face to face..
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2013, 05:19:40 pm »
I wish you could have made it too.  We did have a good time and once again, Gus' cooking was wonderful.  That grilled tuna was awesome.  The fresh boar loin was great too, I'm eating leftovers of it as I type.  I'm sorry I didn't make more of the hog hunting before you got there Gus, I wasn't sure we'd have time to do it.  I was wrong on that.  How bout some pictures?

To help you put faces with their handles, starting front left and going clockwise, I am first, then Sasquatch, then Knapper and back left is Knapper's friend Alan; back right is Tower and Gus is front right. We're in about the only shade available as the trees still didn't have their leaves.  Man did I get sunburned!   Many rocks were harmed in the making of the next picture. ;)   A couple more points were finished after that picture was taken.  Knapper has one and the other is out in my truck, I'll get a picture of it later.  Don will chuckle when he sees how small a knife point I got out of that big tab he let me reduce to rubble. 

A pig did meet an unfortunate end on Friday night, becoming the main course for dinner Saturday night.  He was a big old ugly boar, the only pig knapper and I saw while we were out.  I got video of the shot and if anybody's interested I'll post a link to it once I've condensed it.  It'll be short.

I had a great time and I thought  Gene and Ellen were great hosts.  They ate with us Saturday night as did a friend of mine and his wife from the hog forum who lives down there.  Hope to do it again.

It was a great time, wish y'all had been there.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2013, 10:34:05 pm »
Absolutely, the best time George! Enjoyed finely putting some faces to names, you are all great guys :) Hope to do it again some time. Allen and I wished we could have stayed longer, but enjoyed the time we had. Thanks again for letting us attended and share in the great fellowship ;D and food!!!
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2013, 10:41:14 pm »
I had a riot too.  And, you are so welcome my friend.  If you get a chance, post a picture of that little point.  It isn't particularly good knapping, but it is some of the prettiest stone I've ever seen.  I think the guys would like to see that snake you found...or at least the skin from it.

I have the truck unloaded and things are going back to normal.  Sure was nice to spend a couple days away doing one of the things I love. :)  I did get a picture of the knife blade.  It should have been 2" longer, but while it was still a rock I broke a couple inches off it. :-[

Hope to haft it to a chunk of cholla and the Christian Care Center will auction it off next month.  I hope it helps them.  I should notch it but I'm too chicken...

George
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:45:39 pm by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2013, 11:52:06 pm »
You guys found a nice shady spot, I see.   ;D

Sorry I missed this one.  Looks like a lot of rock was beaten and broken....
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Deerhunter

« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2013, 03:32:55 pm »
I had a great time this weekend, thanks for the good food, looking forward to next time.
Alan

Offline seider

« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2013, 07:54:26 pm »
Thats no fair to eat the left overs while you type..  One of these days i am going to have to get to this.  Only thing is i would not have any points in the picture i would have alot of broken rock at my feet..
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2013, 12:55:02 am »
Well, Mary and I had leftover tuna tonight for supper and it was still awesome.  Tomorrow for lunch I'll finish up the boar loin.

I think it's fair to say that there was a lot of broken rock at all of our feet my friend. I kept repeating "Until it's a point, it's just a rock."  I learned that from Tower and repeat it often.  It's OK to break a rock...thank goodness. 

I do hope you're able to get to a knapp-in.  I learn so much watching other people work stone.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2013, 09:00:53 pm »
George, I wanted to say thank you for having me out! You really know how to show a knapper a good time! ......Gus, your cooking skills are second to none! If the word gets out you will be catering every Knap-in. I had a blast & I ate like a king with old & new friends. It should be more often!!!    Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline TimH

« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2013, 04:43:12 pm »
looks like I missed this one. Maybe on the next one.....

I'm in the Austin area and willing to get together if anyone is interested. I have some material that I can bring, but I think it may need to be heat treated, which I'm not familiar with at this point. I'm very much a beginner at knapping and have a big pile of rocks at this time and not much finished work to brag about.
Acts 4:12

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2013, 05:12:43 pm »
Don, I just wish you'd have had a little more time.  We'll do it again for sure and everybody is always welcome.  The Klein's enjoyed having everybody there.

Tim, if I'd have known...I was back down there this past Saturday again and broke up a bunch of rock.  Only finished 2 points, both from heat treated stone I picked up in the yard there in front of the fire station.  Here's the better one.

Sadly, somebody came by and stepped on the point when I had it beside me on the ground and broke off an ear. :'(  I remade the base into a pedernales and gave it to Miss Ellen.  The other point wasn't as good, a simple stemmed point, that I didn't get a picture of.  Then I had a nice big point going from a thin perd spall until I broke the tip off it...twice.  And finally, I broke a beautiful piece of Burlington up, but not before I ran a shard of it into my pointer finger about a quarter inch deep.  Could not stop the bleeding for a long time.  I quit after that.  So, it was a tough day of knapping.   It would have been better with some company.  The hog hunting was terrible too.  The cold north wind really messed us up.  Still, better than working... :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline chertle

« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2013, 05:16:29 pm »
Beautiful as always Gearge ;) I just got back in the pit and feel like I am starting over! I need to go back to the videos and books and go again! Watchin' the pros on here helps also 8)
Leslie
Indiana

Stringman

« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2013, 05:53:06 pm »
That's a nice one (or was) there George! Sure woulda liked to seen that Burlington point finished, but flakes in fingers tends to be a day ender for me too.

Scott

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2013, 09:07:46 pm »
Thanks you guys.  I would have too Scott, it was pretty stone.  It had a huge turtleback on one side.  When I tried to get a little aggressive with the indirect, I blew out a semicircle of stone instead of driving longer flakes.  The Burlington just won't take what I tried to do.  It happened twice.  If I hadn't stabbed my finger and bled so much I'd have finished it into something, but I was going to lose a lot of length bringing the base up to where I could knock that high spot off.  I really need to stop with the indirect and move to the ishi on that Burlington earlier.

Howdy Leslie, good to hear from you again.  I like to see the pro's in action too.  I've been taking a break as well, but it was nice to get back at it.

I'm off to go smoke the last of the bacon meat.

George
St Paul, TX