Author Topic: Congratulations to simson for winning November/December Backed BOM!!!  (Read 5772 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Congratulations to simson for winning November/December Backed BOM!!!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,36287.0.html

simson’s osage lightning 62#/24"

simson from Bavaria had this to say about his bow:  Well, this is a bow I begun 3 years ago. Its old Osage and the heaviest and darkest I ever had, it was very oily but had a lot of drying cracks (vertical). the bow several times piked and new tillered, because I was not satisfied with the result. So it became shorter and shorter  ...
At least I decided to make something like a plains Indian bow. but with unusual cross section (wider)and unusual sinewing (only the bending parts to save mass). I had to correct this piece several times (twist and alignment). Tipsare steamed back (20 min). The back was carefully prepared for sinew job (acetone, roughing the surface).

This bow was a NIGHTMARE ! She has thrown off the sinew backing in one whole piece and that for two times!!!!!    What a mess.
See the pics, I wonder if I could use this layers on another bow, perhaps glueing on in one whole piece??

After a long long time, I gave her a third try:
I prepared the back again, washed with acetone (3x, got every time a yellersoup); then used oven-cleaner-foam. Now I believe this was the deal!

O.k. here is then the third and hopefully last attempt, I started in January. Three layers of sinew, strengthened with sinew bindings (red) After drying I painted the bacing with a kind of lightning (from heaven or hell ??). The upper tip is decorated with a horse hair tassel, glued on a little plug. The handle is brain tanned buckskin (got it from my friend Kare - thanks!)

specs:

48" ntn
62#/24"
string: 8strands 425X + 4strands of Dacron at the ear / bowyers knot
bending handle, stiff levers 5" each
deer sinew

simson
Here are what some forum members had to say about simson’s bow:
What a sweet little bow! Very authentic looking  Nice job all around  WillH
Well done amigo looks like third times  a charm.  Skyarrow
Very nice simson, love the way you dressed this bow up (decorations).
Greg
Beautiful shorty,love the finish work and tiller looks great to boot.  Had a few of them nightmares myself.    Pappy
That is a looker.  It does look very authentic.  Also, I really like your arrow, the fletching, your point.  Great work, really noteworthy.  Parnell

I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Keenan

Re: Congratulations to simson for winning November/December Backed BOM!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 10:37:04 pm »
Congratulations Simson , very nice bow indeed!

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 11:41:56 pm »
gorgeous! that's all there is to say
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 10:33:15 pm »
Congratulations on a tough win!  Josh

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 11:14:19 am »
Congrats simson.Perserverence has paid off.Very nice bow.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 12:59:54 pm »
Thanks for looking and voting, guys!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 08:41:57 am »
Very nice piece, Simpson.  Congrats on your accomplishment.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 08:40:29 pm »
Beautifull bow, museum quality, for sure.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 07:27:17 am »
Beautiful bow.Very nice work,Congrats on the win. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 06:48:34 pm »
Very cool bow! Congrats!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline beardedhorse

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 01:04:33 pm »
Simson,  congrats on  win.  Some of us scrub an osage bow's back with a good grease cutting dish detergent after scratching shallow longitudinal grooves with a dulled hacksaw blade to prep for sinew or rawhide backing.  Then  use boiling water to rinse out soap.   Wear heavy rubbber gloves to prevent scalding. When dry, do three washes with acetone or the cheaper lacquer thinner.  MEK is also a good de greaser.  All three are dangerous and you should use in an area with good ventilation and solvent resistant gloves.   Keep away from flame.  They are terrible for the liver and the skin and the brain if inhaled too often. The first washing or scrubbing will "flash" dissolve  and de grease the oil  but alsoevaporate leaving some of the oil as a film.  The subsequent two washings should float away this film.   Next I prime the back by diluting some of the same hide glue that is used full strength when glueing on pre dampened leg sinew from elk or bison or deer or antelope.   Back sinew gives you longer lengths but not as much strength as leg.   Too wet a sinew saturates it with moisture so that it can't absorb as much hide glue.  Wrapping with "bandages" of split bicycle inner tire tubes will squeeze out excess glue and hold sinew in place or move it out of position if you wrap too tight or carelessly.    Nice job.  Sorry this reply is so late.  Just now getting around to opening this mail.  Keep up the good work.