Author Topic: Deer skinning  (Read 23250 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Deer skinning
« on: October 18, 2007, 06:27:25 am »
Some folks wanted to see taking the back straps out and saving the backstrap sinew
so here we go.I hang them by the back lesa .One thing you can see is always split skin from the inside out.If you don't you will get hair everwhere.I start at the hind quater and pull down to the ft. legs.I know for some of yall this is skining 1 0 1 but for some that have never done it ,it might help to see it. :)
  Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
Re: Deer skinning
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 06:32:15 am »
Cut off the ft. legs at the joint ,then split skin up to the chest cut.Pull out on
the ft. leg and start cutting under the shoulder while pulling out on it.It will come
right off.If any have any worry about the damage an arrow and sharp head will
do,look at the deers chest.
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 06:39:06 am »
Then make a cut across the back where the hind quarter meets the back,like in the last picture above.Then cut down the back against the back bone,be sure and keep knife tight against
the center of the back.Then start pulling from the top and trim as you pull out the backstrap.
Then I trim around the hind quarter and rear leg and debone the hind quarter while hanging.
You really need a video for this but maybe you can get the idea.It takes a little practice. :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 06:44:59 am »
Then lay the backstrap on the table with the silver side up,get the knife under it and work your way down the length keeping the knife angled toward the sinew.Once you get it cut off lay it
flat meat side up and take a knife using the edge and scrap the meat off,it will clean right up.Then just hang it up to dry.It is like filleting a fish. :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 06:54:40 am »
The leg sinew is what you had it hung on.All I save is the short bundles but if you want to take the time you can skin the leg all the way to the hoof and get a pretty long piece.On whitetail it is pretty small and I usually don't save it.. :) Mullet said he was going to do a hind quarter and show
how to get it all so I will leave that to him. :)I take the hing quarter and lay it out and you can see the muscle groups,there are 4.you can take a knife and follow along the sections and split it into
4 nice pieces,then you can make roast or cut them up into steaks witch ever you prefer. :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 07:01:24 am »
Sorry same pictures.I clean up the shoulders and rap them hole.I then put all the meat in a
cooler of ice water and change it every day for 2/3 days,let it drain and cut it into steaks,roast,stew meat and rap.Soaking it will get all the blood out of the meat and
take that wild taste out of it.Some people like that taste but I don't.Another thing be sure to
trim all the fat and as much of the small pieces of sinew off the meat,makes it taste better
and easier to chew.The fat taste bad so get rid of it.Hope this helps a little. :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 08:28:55 am »

Good job Pappy, now when are we going to grill those backstrips? :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 08:41:49 am »
Thanks Pappy, Its obvious its not the first one you have cleaned ;) I see that yer getting some use out of
the knife I sent ya also ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 09:08:38 am »
Plan on doing some of it Friday and Sat.Greg. ;) Ya I have done a few and it dose get easier
after you have done some.You just have to jump right in there and do it.It may not come out
prefect the first few times but hands on is the best way to learn.Ya the knife is getting a work
out.Hope to use it some more This weekend. ;) ;D ;D
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 09:53:04 am »
Great!Now Im getting hungry ! Seems like there is always a food connection with this site. Especially in most of your pics Pappy. Really good job! Didnt happen to stretch that hide for making any rawhide backings did ya? Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline BearG

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 04:01:34 pm »
pappy,  great job per usual.  cant wait untill next month!!!!!
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Beleg813

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 07:00:51 pm »
Thanks Pappy for the tutorial and helpful pictures with the explanations. It really did provide me with some great insight!!

jamie

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 08:43:50 pm »
nice job pappy, thanks for posting this. :)

Offline John K

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 08:55:08 pm »
Thanks Pappy !   I liked it, but it did make me hungry  :D
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 12:17:00 am »
Looks like you got er figured out - of course. I'll never pay to have mine processed again - several years ago one cost me damn near $200.00, and an old buck that wasn't worth eatin ta boot. Good post!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.