Author Topic: Deer skinning  (Read 23078 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Deer skinning
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 05:51:06 am »
I agree cowboy,I haven't had one precessed in 25 years,One thing I don't think they are as
careful or do as good a job as you can do yourself with just a little time and also it cost $75.00
here now to get one cut up. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 07:54:06 am »
Last few years we have been getting deer processed by a butcher, but I have severe allergy to deer hide
so you can see the problem for me.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline stickbender

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 12:34:14 am »
     That's how I do it also, but a friend used to hang them by the neck, and then skin aroung the neck and chest and front legs, and peel back the skin of the legs to the shoulder, and then tie a golf ball in the top portion of the partially skinned neck area, with a small strong rope, or cord, and tie the other end to a bumper of his truck, and pull the hide right off.  I worked pretty slick.  They used to do cows that way.

Stickbender

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 02:19:55 pm »
Thanks for the post Pap, I will need it eventually.That was very helpful to see.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

PK

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 12:48:52 pm »
Good Morning Pappy, Do ya use  the raw hide skins for backings? Those make good drum heads too.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 07:25:36 am »
I save some of them ,but not all.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ghost

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 11:04:16 pm »
Cowboy

Try corning that old buck, makes great eating.  ;D

Ghost

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 05:05:20 pm »
I may try that Ghost. Have a book that explains how to do that - just hadn't thought of it. Do love corned beef and cabbage though :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

brian melton

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 10:19:50 pm »
Pappy,

I generally remove the sinew while on the deer, just sliding my knife under the sinew in reverse as not to cut it. It is good to see different methods. Man, what was that thing killed with??? Some serious blood shot around the ribs.... Good job!! (on the pics) Glad you took the time for those that have not done it....

Brian

PK

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 02:41:02 pm »
I save some of them ,but not all.
   Pappy
My friend Margo Is sending me a rawhide buckskin to make her a spirit drum, I'm gonna steam bent the frame to an octagon.
Then I'm startin another bow. Thank you for your kind responses, Around here I get a lot a sarcasm, Some times I wish I lived in the Country side.

carnivore

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 03:07:31 pm »
Good little seminar there Pappy.  For those that haven't done much butchering, it is important to emphasize the fact that you need to remove all fat if possible.  Deer fat is not like beef or pork fat.  It is also a good idea to remove all the sinew, especially if you intend to grind the meat(much easier on your grinder w/o sinew).  As  for the backstraps, I usually butterfly them, then wrap a strip of bacon around them so it looks like a filet mignon.  I then use a Foodsaver (vacuum) to pack the steaks with.  Then I use the recipe on Montreal Steak Seasoning to marinate them in(mixture of aforementioned seasoning with some olive oil and soy sauce I believe). It is important not to overcook.  Leave your steaks more rare than you would a beef steak, and you will notice a huge difference.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 07:40:10 am »
Ya Brian some of my buddies do it that way also,I taught myself so that is how I started.
It was killed with Sister snake bow  with a 160 Ace head,600 grain arrow.Both lungs   
and cut the top of the heart off,she ran about 40 yards and was down in less than 3
seconds.It was a bloody mess,don't know if I every seen one bleed as much ,as quick.
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

PK

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2008, 02:45:39 pm »
Pappy, that vinisen is pretty good with sourkrout ;)that shot you got in the right spot. that bow must be real quiet.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 10:27:00 pm by PK »

Offline Wulamoc

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2008, 03:35:13 pm »
Thanks Pappy!   I gotta go get something to eat!!  Seeing you work that hard on good meat makes me hungry!  ThankS for that too! Wells
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. GEN-21:20

Michigan

tradrick

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2008, 12:57:50 am »
I promise I was just thinking I was going to post and see if someone would do a session on removing deer sinew.And poof there it is.Great job Pappy.The pics help understand the process more so then just reading it.How long does it usually take to dry?Thanks tradrick