Author Topic: Left eye dominant right handed.  (Read 9878 times)

Offline Scottski

Left eye dominant right handed.
« on: January 26, 2013, 11:43:08 pm »
Ok found out last summer I am left eye Dom. I have always
Been right handed and shot ok like this. Untill I find out I am
Left eye Dom. Now it seems like I can't hit my target as well
As I did. So do I learn to shoot left handed or aim more to the
Right or shoot with a patch on my left eye. Cause now I think
It got my head messed up and it more of a mind thang. What
Are your thoughts? Welcome any kind of help thank you.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Left eye dominant right handed.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 12:01:56 am »
Sounds like it is all in your head. If you shoot instinctively it doesn't matter if you are left or right eye dominant or right handed or left handed. You shot fine before you realized you were left eye dominant so go back to what you were doing before you found out.
 Concentrate on all aspects of each shot and you will get back in the groove.  Its not a bad idea to learn to shoot both left and right. Try it both ways and see which you prefer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 01:38:30 am »
I'm the same way: left eye dominant and right handed.  I squint my left eye when I shoot so that my right eye takes over.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Scowler

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 11:49:37 am »
I agree with Pat B.

Offline danny f

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 12:12:36 pm »
im left eye dominant, but shoot a bow right handed. (i shoot a gun left handed :o)  i dont really aim with a bow  i just look at the target with both eyes open and shoot. this works ok for me. i cant split arrows lol but  i do ok.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 12:37:47 pm »
Im a lefty & left eye dominant. My left elbow is shot so i shoot righty. I instict shoot. Out to 20yrds dont bother me but past that i start shootin to the left so i just close my left.... Pats correct tho; its mostly a mind thing. If i have been shootin alot... It corrects itself... jmo.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 09:02:31 pm »
I'm a little concerned with the replies here.  Not sure if you guys that shoot with both eyes are actually able to switch from dominant eye to non-dominant eye.  If you always shoot with your dominant eye and you can't help but do this every time, you wont have a problem.  However, if you are like me, sometimes my brain switches to my non dominant eye at the moment of aiming and firing and it's confusing.  It does make a difference if you mistakenly make the correction and adjust your aim to the other eye at the instant you release the arrow.  It must be an ADD thing.  It usually happens to me on the last shot and makes me shoot outside the group.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:10:05 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 09:28:16 am »
I am left eye dom. and shoot right handed,with both eyes open,just how I learned,I tried to switch to left but just couldn't or wouldn't work hard enough
at it for it to feel confrontable,If you can make it work I would suggest you swap to left,I know several that have for one reason or another and after they got use to it they seemed to shoot better.I just couldn't make it work for me.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline danny f

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 09:44:04 am »
i tried to shoot left handed with  a slingshot as i use them alot. and just couldnt get used to it, so i would have no chance with a bow. i think if you shoot right handed and are left eye dominant (or vice versa) i find  its better to have both eyes open and just focus on the target rather than the arrow or anything else. but other than that just do what ever is the most comfortable and feels right.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 11:49:38 am »
I'm left eye dominate and right handed. Just close my left eye and shoot. Can't shoot with both eyes open probaly comes from my compound days looking through a peep sight :-[
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 12:09:27 pm »
The only problem I have with closing one eye is I loose my depth perception which is importand in the style I shoot,My brain [what little I have ] ;) ;D tells me the distance ,I don't judge distance at least not out to 25/30 yards. Gap shooting or point of aim shooters need to know how far, and actually aim so closing one eye really shouldn't matter. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 08:37:56 am »
  PAPPYS right to shoot instintive you have to have both eyes open.
  I known and helped people that the same things happened to them.
  It is in your head. If you shoot with a different dominant eye to the side. And have did it like this with out knowing. You never shoot great up at hunting distances your hand eye makes up the short distance. The longer the shot the harder it is. It's alot easyer to take up shooting (switch) with the other hand than you thing. If your haveing a problem with your shooting.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Scottski

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 08:02:36 pm »
Well I think I might try and get me a light wait left handed bow do a little practice to see if I get any better. Can't hurt to try it out who knows i might get better.

Offline Featherchucker

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 10:03:20 pm »
I grew up being taught to do everything right handed . I started shooting a bow at 8 years old and could hit things very well . Started hunting with a shotgun at 16 and did very well with that too .
    BUT at 21 I  wanted to  shoot copetitive combat pistol . A friend of my fathers who was an instructor for our PD agreed to teach me . I hadn't even sent 6 rounds down range and he stopped me and had me do the domanent eye "test".  He told me I was left eye dominant and even though I thought I was a pretty good shot , if I wanted him to work with me , I would have to learn to shoot lefty .
   The next few weeks were very awkward but my accuracy improved tremendously over the next month .Like I said before , I thought I had been a pretty good shot . Now I felt like Doc Holliday !
    I decided to try the same thing with archery and borrowed a lefty recurve . Like with the pistol , at first it felt very awkward but after a couple hundred arrows I was a convert for life . I had always been an instinctive shooter and still am (57 now ) but the improvements in accuracy were astounding once I got used to lefty .
    If you can invest the time and change of equipment , IMHO , it's well worth it.

Offline Scottski

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 11:13:50 pm »
Now I just have to find a lefty that wants to get rid of a bow.lol!!