Author Topic: Left eye dominant right handed.  (Read 9879 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Left eye dominant right handed.
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 01:10:46 pm »
Yeah, Chucker is right about taking time to make the switch.  I tried shooting lefty but gave up because of the time involved to get used to it.

I think I might have another go at it, though.  I'm already doing exercises for my left side (using a warbow) so I might as well shoot also.  I'm very curious to see if my shooting improves.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

FAW

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 11:23:06 am »
I prefer both eyes open when shooting, however, one should shoot based on the dominant eye, left eye dominant, shoot left handed. right eye dominant, shoot right handed. When the eye dominant thing crosses over, there are only two solutions in my opinion - switch to dominant eye side or close dominant eye.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 01:47:55 am »

I found out I was like you by accident.  I was in N.C., with a Friend of mine who had to have the best of this, and the best of that, etc.  He could afford it.  Well he had to have a Browning, Citori, Special edition, over under.  Then we went to the local trap and skeet club, and a Champion shooter was there giving lessons.  Well I couldn't afford it, so I just sat in the bleachers, and listened to what was being said.  I learned a lot just by listening, also how to check for my dominant eye.  My left! :P  I am right handed.  Well later on, I tried shooting left handed.  I did almost as well as I did right handed. :o  Just a little bit awkward.  But I tried closing my left eye, and did well.  I normally shot with both eyes open.  It hasn't affected me either way, I guess I have adapted to it over the years.  Some people use a patch, or just a piece of scotch tape on the lens of the dominant eye, and it is enough to make the less dominant eye take over.  However you want to do it, go for it.  Whatever is easier for you, and whatever gets the best results.

Wayne

Offline Huntinfool

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 03:16:11 am »
Left eye dominamt rand hand shooter .... No problems .... I found out shooting a pistol held it in my right hand but realized I was using my left eye to shoot the pistol!

Tried a LH bow, I did OK but if I shot any better than I do RH I'd be world champ! LOL! J/K

~HF~

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 04:34:06 pm »
I have the same issue and could never learn to shoot with both eyes open and left handed feels too strange.  I am still shooting righty and closing my left eye.  Doesn't seem that I have another choice.  :(  I am a more accurate gap shooter than instinctive so that not an option for me either.  It limits me a bit in low light but not that much. 
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 02:01:41 am »
I'm left eye dominant and right handed --- But,  I shoot left handed.  Seems like everybody who is a righty with a good left eye shoots right.   
 Shooting left was always more natural for me, that's the way I shot when I was a kid, before I knew about these rules. :)

Offline tanner

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 11:28:36 pm »
Right-handed left-eye here as well. I was lucky that both my parents and my older brother are lefty so no one forced me to do anything off-hand. Also my dad was a deputy sheriff so he figured out my eye dominance early too. The only thing that stinks about shooting lefty for me is that it's a bit harder to find left-handed weapons. Also - think of it like this. If you're a left-handed primitive archer - you have less chance of a buddy overdrawing your bow if it's made left-handed. "Sorry - it's not the right hand for you to try it". :)

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 09:36:55 am »
I'm strongly left eye dominant and shoot lefty.
As I understand it, you won't shoot as well if you're fighting your eyes' natural allignment.  when you look at something your dominant eye is staring straight at it, and your other eye gauges distance, depth, all that good stuff.  If you're lining up that shot with the weak eye, there are consistancy issues because it's trying to defer to the dominant eye.  That's why eye patches are sometimes effective; they blind your dominant eye so there's no distraction, and your off eye can do its job.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Beavis

• Hi
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 04:23:24 pm »
just needed to say I love this site and glad I found it

I dont have a dominant eye anymore. I have always been right hand right eye until the retina of my right eye decide to give out. Now I can hardly see out of it even with glasses and i cant even close my right eye when shooting. I shoot with both eyes open, it took a bit of advice and practice but now i can reliably hit a target. Sometimes it takes a few arrows to home in on it, a bit more practice and i'll be good. Loosing an eye or partial sight isnt the end of the world.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 10:14:54 am »
I am left eye dominant due to the strength of the eye when compared to the right. I had 20-20 vision in my left eye, but my right was considerably weaker. I am right-handed, but as a kid I knew I could not sight a bb gun without holding it left handed. My dad was left handed so he never tried to get me to change. I shoot long guns and bows left handed, but hand guns with my right hand. I was given a right handed recurve when I was a teenager and learned to shoot it left handed. I was really screwed up. Finally got my first left handed longbow in 1992 and have been shooting that way ever since.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA