Author Topic: when I had nothing  (Read 3812 times)

Offline iowabow

when I had nothing
« on: January 27, 2013, 09:39:33 am »
When I had nothing .....I joined the military

When I got out I went to art school but could not afford to frame my drawings so I pulled pallets apart for wood and took windows apart for glass.

When I did not have a washer or dryer I picked trash during big trash day and combined 3 to make one good one.

When I had no table saw I bought a 3 dollar circular saw and turned it upside down and bolted to a piece of plywood to cut wood.

When I bought my first house I build a barn from old oak fence planks that were going to be burned in a fire. The post came from a man cutting trees in a valley where a pond was going to be built. I helped him he gave me wood for post

I lost my job that summer and my wife was with child and on bed rest. She was no longer working.  Things looked bad so I went to the paint store and bought the unwanted discount paint so the house would look good because I figured we were going to have to sell it. I needed money so started selling all my stuff on eBay. I was scanning photos in for the images and needed a better camera so I used want little money we had to buy a digital camera. After I sold hundreds of dollars in stuff I figured something important out. I found that the digital images could be projected onto a TV with RCA cable. Now I could teach a class with just a TV and a digital camera. This idea was thousands of dollars cheaper than equipment in the day.

This was how I presented material during interviews and landed me the job I now have.

I think if I had been given everything I would not have the life I have now. If I had not been so poor I would not appreciate the life I now live.
After losing everything I felt beat up.

It may seem strange but I have kept the paper record of what I had to give up. It hurt to lose the first 4x4 I ever owned which was a ford ranger.
Once I got a job and moved to Iowa I thought things would be better. Two years later my wife died.
It is odd how your perspective on things change as you age. 

I now have a good job and great wife and wonderful kids but I try hard to appreciate this life everyday.

If it is worth having work for it!  never give up! Be willing to give it all up for your family and appreciate them everyday. I have had nothing many times it is very humbling. I always appreciate those that gave me a hand up!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:53:42 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

Re: when I had nothing
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 09:59:36 am »
I wrote this post after looking at one of my drawing framed with glass from an old window. It is funny how it takes you back to the day when the glass was cut.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:06:20 am »
understood-thanks for sharing
wild women don't get the blues

Offline sonny

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 10:30:07 am »
well said!
thanks for sharing!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 10:38:24 am »
Reflection is good. Very sorry to hear of your loss John.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 10:56:16 am »
Thanks for the memories!  Thinking back about all the times when life was tough makes me appreciate what we have now.  We were not the generation of the "endowed" so we made do with what we had.  The 40s, 50s, and 60s were tough, but full of opportunities if you were willing to work!  I have been blessed with a life long mate and trying to provide for her has been the reason for thinking life has just been a series of hurdles I have been lucky enough to conquer!  Your message here has made me count my blessings!  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 11:28:19 am »
Thanks for the inspiration!!! 
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 04:59:35 pm »
I drove away from my first marriage(she ran off with some one else and still got almost everything) in my old jeep with a B&W TV I had to change the channels on with a pair of pliers.

I came away with a different perspective, never end up in that kind of financial shape again and be real choosy when I picked my next wife.

30 years with my new wife, and comfortably retired, I am glad stuck to my game plan.

I lost my job of 30 years when I was 52 but because I had stuck to my guns about my financial  planning through the years I said"to heck with it" and retired instead of seeking a new job.

Wife is going through a bout with stage 4 bladder cancer(everything looks OK for now) and I have a new game plan; never put off what you enjoy doing until tomorrow because there might not be a tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:06:41 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 07:13:15 pm »
  I'd  walk  the woods  with an  American like  you(or anyone)  any day thanks  for the story,,,,,we  all  need to hear stuff  like this  to  get  us  back  on  the ground!  JeffW

Offline seabass

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 08:47:20 pm »
sorry to hear of your loss and hardships.this is a great post.it makes me think of everything i have now.i have had to work hard for all of it.all the young people today should read this.if you work hard,good things will come.thank you for posting this John.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 09:08:11 pm »
Thanks for posting this.  Hard times make you appreciate the things you have.  I went from being 20 years old and single to married with two kids within 1 year.  I had to sell everything I had to get grocery money, my car (69 nova), my new compound bow and targets, guns, speakers, everything.  I didn't realize how good I had it until it was all gone. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 07:44:54 am »
Thanks John and others ,nice to look back now and then,don't want to dwell on the past but important to look back. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Frawg

• Mayan Apocalypse Survivor
    • N/A
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 08:51:25 am »
Wow, Thank you for that. It was much needed
Matt
Matt Bradley

Glade Valley, NC

Offline cracker

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 09:49:35 am »
Boy that takes me back a ways been so broke I had to shoot neighborhood squirrels to have something to eat. Times are better now I just hope everything holds steady. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 03:47:30 pm »
Hmmm John... Your post came at a good time.  I was pulled out of my last semester of High School (in Michigan) to move to Florida.  Credits were different there, so I was unable to graduate in my intended Senior year, so I quit school.  I was heartbroken.  A few months later I turned 18, I drove my 250 motorcycle from Florida back to Michigan, my original home.  I re-enrolled back to my high school after missing 4 months of school, caught up and graduated on time.

Then on my own and scared, I had absolutely no money.  I worked and made ends meet doing odd jobs, mowing lawns and scrounging for returnable bottles.    That was more than 30 years ago.  I've done pretty well since then but not without ups and downs along the way. 

In the last 5 years or so, I met my beautiful wife Heather, son Dylan.  We recently had a baby, most of you know as Wee-Wicki.  Just last week as everything seemed to be going great, I lost my job of 15 years.  My job was our only income.  Again, I was heartbroken.  Your post came at the perfect time.  It encourages me and helps me to cope with what's to come.  I have skills and the ability to hunt, grow and gather food.  I am scared, but know we'll be okay. 

Thanks John.  I needed this...
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI