Author Topic: Questions about Ocean Spray  (Read 6344 times)

Offline Blacktail

Questions about Ocean Spray
« on: January 27, 2013, 08:13:25 pm »
After skipping out on church today, I got really blessed with finding two pieces of old growth Ocean Spray and I am wondering how some of the pros would get the bows out of this wood. They both have reflex but the tension side is on the opposite side of the reflex. In the photo, I have my finger up against the tension side. So, would you just use the natural reflex or would you use the tension side? Thanks for looking, John.

Offline bow101

Re: Questions about Ocean Spray
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:26:36 pm »
Ya that depends I guess...! Sometimes if you do go opposite the reflex you may damage the fibres. Have not had  the pleasure of working with Ocean Spray yet, hopefully in the near future. Ask Zion about Ocean Spray.!
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 09:08:55 pm »
I'm not an OS expert, I've only made a couple of kid's bows out of it but I'm looking forward to making some big boy bows out of it sometime soon. The bark on that looks different the OS that I've seen and worked with. The picture's a little fuzzy but the bark looks a little shaggy as opposed to smooth like I'm used to. If it were my OS I'd just use the reflex instead of worrying about the tension side, but like I said I'm not an OS expert so I'd be interested to hear more from others.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 09:38:35 pm »
elktracker has built some and did a build a long maybe you can get ahold of him, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 10:38:54 pm »
thanks for some of help..its really NOT about the ocean spray part MORE about if i should make the bow out of the reflex side OR if the bow should come from the tension side...john

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 10:41:42 pm »
if it was me i'd go with the tension side, but i'm shure others would do the opposite
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 11:59:07 pm »
I'm just finishing up an OS that looked kinda similar to that stave.  Same situation, reflexed one way, tension on the other side.  I went with the reflex as the bows back.

I'd say I haven't noticed any ill effects.  Its amazing wood.  I did goof up and pop a small chrysle near the fade.  It was because my outer 1/3 was too stiff.  Its all corrected now, but man, what a rookie mistake!  :-\

This stave I worked on was a total boogy-man.  Uneven reflex, on either limb, uneven backset on the handle, moderate propseral twist and it needed string alignment.  For all that she still came out a sweet bow pulling around 52 at 28. Like I said, thats some tough wood.

But... based on some deflexed yew I've worked with, I'd say you'd also be in good shape going with the deflex side, trusting in the tension wood, and dropping a sweet little D/R profile into that bad boy.  That'd be something I think you'd do.  And it'd turn out sweet.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 02:10:48 am »
Hmm yeah never seen OS bark like that, usually its smooth and kinda grey. Was that stuff standing dead or just really old?

It doesn't seems like OS is effected that much by tension-side drying like VM is. I would use the reflexed side personally but you could see if it pulls straight and then beyond. I don't think that would happen though.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 02:22:36 am »
Hey, Blacktail, good find.  Just five minutes ago Bryce and Dan left my house where we were holding and discussing oceanspray.

Its just like vinemaple it seems.  So you can make a bow in either direction, as a deflexed stave or reflexed.  As a deflex you could reflex the limbs and have a great bow or you could use the inside curve as the back of the bow and tiller out a reflexed bow.  Either works.
It appears there are no experts with OS, except perhaps John Strunk and others who don't do internet chat.  So you may be the first.
I would just treat it like osage in terms of dimensions and reflexing.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 03:17:45 am »
Are you sure that is ocean spray??? Kinda looks like hawthorn, but the again pics can be deceiving.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 05:02:41 pm »
Doesn't look like any OS I've seen......
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 05:38:51 pm »
There is a shrub called Pacific Nine bark whose flowers and leaves look a lot like OS.  Could be that.  Would be worth trying anyway.

Gabe

Humboldt County CA.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 05:43:53 pm »
Here's an unusually large diameter sample:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12567713@N00/5666816699/

gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 06:23:54 pm »
I was thinking nine bark too.  Very similar growth form to ocean spray, and often grows in the same area.  However, I have also seen quite a bit of variation in bark patterns on ocean spray too, just never seen any that shaggy.  From what I understand ninebark can make a good bow too.  If it is ocean spray, I would say you could go either way, as others have mentioned.  If it is ninebark, I would use the deflexed tension side and bend some recurve in.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline aaron

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 06:53:34 pm »
another vote for ninebark
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"