Author Topic: Cordage?  (Read 12680 times)

Offline david w.

Re: Cordage?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 06:15:11 pm »
thanks it is all pretty clear now i think. it has not frosted yet.  I wouldnt be able to ever see you though couldnt get a ride ;) i have barely any homework so i might try it toinght.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Hartung

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 03:28:59 am »
Cllinker2, thanks for your explanation. Did you ever make a bowstring out of nettle fibre? If so, what was it’s poundage and how many shots did it last?

Thanks!

cllinker2

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 11:11:05 am »
No, I never made a bowsting out of it.  At the time I had made one bow before I learned to work with nettle.  It was a lemonwood longbow, about 70 lbs pull when I was 12.  It broke after limited usage.  I built it along the line of a yew longbow, used information from The Archer's Craft by, I believe, Adrian Elliot Hodgkin (I'm going back in memory 47 years!!)  But while I could draw the bow It was too powerful for me at the time.  Anyhow, I have made a lot of cordage, but never a natural bowstring.  I haven't found any nettle locally, there is some milkweed.  I don't know how to identify dogbane.  Currently I'm recuperating from some surgery, spent a lot of time on the net, which is how I found this forum.  I have a nice hickory overbuilt flatbow, slightly recurved, with a (sorry for this) nylon cable back.  About 80 lbs, it seems to have very good cast.  I am wanting to make a few more bows soon, I have some really excellent hickory that was cut for me.  I have to get healed up and catch up on work (self employed, no insurance, I need to work!!) I am making my own shafts, and I have a nice, simple, 3 fletch jig I want to got pictures of and explanation on how to build on the 'net.  It will take me a while right now.

Offline Bear Claw

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 11:41:57 am »
I would like to first of all thank everyone for their input on this site. David had a question about cordage material and I noticed that no one mentioned yucca. It is a very strong and durable fiber that will work just fine for bowstrings.
Aaron from northwest Arkansas.

Offline Bear Claw

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 11:47:13 am »
Clinker,
  I am from northwest arkansas area and would like the chance to learn from a fellow "Oooga Booga". I am just happy that there are places like this to share ideas and information. I am not sure what to look for as far as nettle or dogbane.
Aaron from northwest Arkansas.

cllinker2

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 04:57:00 pm »
Hi Bearclaw,  I am from North Central Arkansas, South of Harrison.  I have my Email posted in my profile, so if you click on that and Email me I can give you my address.  I am most involved in traditional blacksmithing, which we have a group for.  We also have a local very good flintknappers get together at Watercreek, near Yellville, where lots of people with primitive skills gather the first weekend in May or so.  I will miss it the next two years as I have blacksmithing obligations that weekend.  Anyhow, Email me and I'll give you my address.