Author Topic: rabbits skinning, tanning, eating  (Read 9772 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: rabbits skinning, tanning, eating
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2013, 01:37:51 am »
primitivepaulette....Good recipe for moisture?Is that your guess or your experience?I've done dozens and dozens of hides with alumnum sulfate and pickling salt and no sulfuric action has ever occured.Decades of shelf life.Doing them raw totally invites all kinds of pests.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline primitivepaulette

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2013, 10:18:16 am »
Personally, it's been between 10-15. However, if I can count the experience of some of my hide tanning peers, that goes into the decades. Salt continues to draw moisture and well if you wash the salt out very thoroughly the alum can also be washed out, lol. It is a very old argument even on the taxidermy net site..think this is why new ingredients are always being introduced, but, how many of those are actually in fact alum based....
..I don't mean to cause argument as I have in fact 'tanned' quite a few skins myself using aluminum sulphate and salt and even sulfuric acid, and salt... and they came out really beautiful. I have 'heard' about disintegrating skins from some very reliable sources. It could be that when water is reintroduced to those extended shelf life skins..  Personally? I might not be around then and if I do live that long? :-) Actually, I'm suffering now from some of the tanning I've done.....but it will not stop ME from tanning them, so really there are MANY ways to skin A Cat and tan them. Oh yes and rabbits too :-). Definately a thread topic here that I should have declined any comments on, lol. Must be my conservative side coming forth! Just a differing thought and one that just might bear some forethought?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2013, 07:45:48 am »
Yes just conservatively guessing here there must be 30 different ways to tan hides.Personally I have a first cousin who has been a taxidermist as his main income for 30 years and has a school of teaching too that I did'nt live too far from first hand.He will buy the tanning process from his taxidermy catalogs of which I have the same books.He sends hides away to be tanned too.Neutralizing the tanning process is essential.I had a state taxidermy license myself for about 10 years till I got into brain tanning and the primitive life style reenacting.Nothing lasts forever.Like anything else it matters how you take care of it along the way.
Seems like people want to ask the whys and wherefores of things,and want a gaurntee too.If they'd realize nothing lasts forever they'd be ok.You did a very nice job of skinning on your rabbits and nice pictures of it too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed