Author Topic: 2014 KY primitive bow workshop?  (Read 12170 times)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
2014 KY primitive bow workshop?
« on: January 31, 2013, 08:14:26 pm »
I've been discussing with a local program director Byron, at Life Adventure Center of the Bluegrass the possibility of a selfbow workshop at their facility.

My question to bowyers and instructors here, is anyone interested in teaching / assisting with this?  I plan to assist and select and cut staves of osage from the property, it has an abundance, to reduce the cost to participants.

Since there is nothing like this happening here, I think it would be a huge hit and introduce many to the fulfilling arena of traditional archery and the art of selfbows..  What month, how many days? Any suggestions?

If someone would like to discuss this with me, 859 333 9691 is my cell

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: 2014 KY primitive bow workshop?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 08:53:12 am »
Late winter or early spring, Feb.Early March and 3 days if you plan on teaching them much. It would be tough for them to complete a bow in less than that from scratch, especially Osage.  :) some may but most beginners I have seen can't. What part of KY. ??  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 09:48:48 am »
Wow wapiti, that's an awesome idea and a massive undertaking.

I tend to agree with Pappy that from scratch, a split log to bow is 3 days would be difficult to pull off with osage.  Rings would have to be chase.  I never been fortunate to work with a "straight" piece of osage.  All that I've worked with have had to be heat corrected in someway, usually in several session to remove twists, humps, even up limb r/d...  I suppose if all of that was done prior to the event and the staves were near floor tiller stage (which they would need to be to do the heat corrections anyhow) it might be possible.

Pappy and Twin Oaks pull off a bow building clinic a couple times a year for the Boy Scouts.  But, have you seen the facilities at Twin Oaks?  Something like 8 to 10 vices and probably a few more work stages than that, bandsaws, belt sander, scrapers and rasps galore.

Now, that I've thrown a wet blanket on your plans, if I can help let me know.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 02:46:47 pm »
Where at in Kentucky? I'm a beginner myself, but would help all I could.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 09:52:55 pm »
This is between Lexington and Frankfort.  There are some pretty clean straight osage around, it's literally a weed tree that most landowners want eliminated..  Would hickory be a better stave?  They teach several primitive skills classes, mostly for kids at this place.

Personally, I think it would be beneficial if this year's class, cut, split and rough out next year's staves... and so on.

The property is almost 600 acres..

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 02:53:09 am »
How many days does this course run? And what is the age of the kids?  I'm sure most kids would like cut down a tree, most would enjoy splitting it.  But, you're probably going to lose a lot of interest in the roughing out part.  Heck, I don't enjoy roughing out a bow and I use a bandsaw for most of it.  I sure wouldn't like doing it without the pay off of a bow at the end of my effort.  Unless of course, I'm volunteering my time to help new bowyers get started in this hobby.

I'm making a bunch of assumptions here trying to work this out in my head.  I'm guessing this is weekend course, which could be completely wrong.  So, the first year's students cut, split and rough out a bow.  The second year's students make the bows.  Then the 3rd year's students cut, split and rough out a bow for the 4th year's students??  Is that what I'm hearing???

Hickory would be easier.  It's usually straighter with less tendancies for a propeller twist than osage and you don't have to chase a ring, just peel off the bark and there's the back of the bow.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 05:05:17 am »
I might be able to help depending on when it is and what I have going on at the time.  I'm about 2 hours north of you.

Hickory needs to be very dry to make a good bow.  I think osage is a good wood for beginners.  Chasing a ring is fairly simple as long as they are not to thin. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 09:42:45 am »
The bow making course would be targeted at adults or at least young adults.  My suggestion was to cut staves now for next year, then the first class works those staves and if time allows, they cut staves for the following year's class, which some may very well repeat and get to work a stave they cut from a tree...

It's just a thought at this time, brainstorming more than anything.  People should use their hands and minds for more than texting and surfing... This is something that could make a real difference in someone's life.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 04:35:38 pm »
Sign me up to help, pending the dates.  Sounds like a great plan to me. I could come help ya cut staves now.

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 07:52:50 pm »
Well, nothing is set in stone.  My thoughts are to have it during late March or Early April, the Kentucky Tradfest is the first weekend in April.  What if this was held during the week or the weekend before, then the interested students and instructors could also go to the Tradfest which is 25 miles away and compete with their bows?..

Again, just brainstorming..

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 09:39:36 am »
We usually use Hickory for the scouts and also a lot of it at the Classic,we do have them straight and floor tillered,we will have a demo before it starts,splitting/laying out and roughing out and floor tillering the bow to show them how we got to where it is.We also keep them in a large hot box when they aren't working on them to insure they stay dry. Depending on how many you expect it will be tough to split/debark and chase a ring not to mention straighting,
I know there are some out there but I have seen very little Osage that don't need at least a little tweaking. The ones you have there that know what they are doing and want to help will stay really busy if you have more than 5 or 6 beginners. I can promise you that. Not trying to discourage you ,just throwing in some reality.
Lot of work to pull these off but well worth the effort if you can get the help that are committed to seeing it through.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 04:43:29 pm »
Thanks for the insights Pappy!  That's why I'm asking questions.  There are plenty of hickory to cut too.. 

Offline kybow

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 09:32:45 am »
Wapiti, did you get a chance to do this yet? If not I'm interested in helping out, I'm in Taylorsville Ky.

Chad

Offline wildman

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 09:47:32 am »
Hickory board bows may be an option that would be very possible in the time frame. You could then do a demo on splitting out/working down staves. Just a thought. I am about 3hrs west could possibly lend a hand.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 10:02:33 am »
Im still in if you are still doing this.  I have tools and a bowyers bench that I could bring.  Also might be able to donate some staves to help get started.