Author Topic: New archer needs helpful shooting suggestions...  (Read 3456 times)

Offline ThomasJ2352

New archer needs helpful shooting suggestions...
« on: February 03, 2013, 05:39:36 am »
I have only been shooting for a few weeks (since i built a boardbow - 74", 40lbs @ 28") and use home made dowel arrows...
I find that at 65' I can usually keep them within about 2' diameter but out at 100' that just about doubles (not surprising I
suppose) but I have tried many different techniques in hopes of finding something that works...

1)  cock the bow anywhere between 0 and 45 degrees (cant find an angle that seems to work any better)
2)  concentrate on the target before and during the shot (ok for 65' and in but I'm hitting sod at 100')
3)  shoot just as I pull to the anchor (inconsistent results)
4)  hold for 1 to 3 seconds (cant seem to hold the bow still at full draw)
5)  visualize the arrow path before and watch it as its in flight (kinda neat to watch it arc up then down unless it misses the hay bales entirely...too often)
6)  positioned shoulders in line to target (fuller draw but in consistent results)
7)  positioned shoulders a bit more open to target (same as above)
8)  tried an anchor just under my nose...looking right down the arrow shaft with my right eye (same as above)
9)  tried an anchor more to the side of my mouth (hitting well left)
10) tried pulling back as I bring the bow up to being on target (more missed bales)
11) tried pulling back on target (better but still inconsistent)

Am I expecting too much? (at 100' can I expect to be within a 12" diameter or smaller?)
Should I try a few carbon/aluminum pro-built arrows to take the variability of my home-made arrows?
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Tom

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: New archer needs helpful shooting suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 12:14:30 pm »
Most of what you are talking about will diminish as you learn to shoot and get a style you are comfortable with. Consistency is what will make you a better shooter. Also, being relatively new to archery there are muscles that have to be developed that are required for consistant shooting and can only be developed by shooting.
  If you find yourself getting tired, getting frustrated or just not consistant put the bow down and find something else to do. Come back later once your head has cleared or your muscles have relaxed some. It is a lot easier to develop good shooting habits to begin with than it is to get rid of bad shooting habits.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 03:17:16 pm »
This thread helped me a lot. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,37016.0.html

Work on a consistent full draw and ignore the accuracy part for now. Just get a consistent anchor and conquer target panic now before it gets worse.

I've been shooting for a few years but it still really helps to ensure that you have solid form.

The whole 'instinctive' shooting thing takes awhile to develope. Be patient.  :)
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline ThomasJ2352

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 01:43:59 am »
Thanks gents for the helpful remarks...greatly appreciated....
I have noticed that a couple out of every dozen veers left...well outside any kind of grouping...after further consideration
I think what happens that when I release the string I do more of a pluck...pulling out from my anchor point, directing the
arrow left, as I shoot from the right side.....no....not more things to remember!  I have tried to teach the golf swing to folk
in the past and it seems to get to a point where there are 20 things to remember for each swing....I think shooting can be
like that too......hence the hint to take things one at a time....anchor point....form....release.....ect...and not be in a hurry.
Thanks again,
Tom

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 10:55:42 pm »
Just stay with it.  My two cents would be to stay within ten steps till you are grouping like you want and then increase your distance....   and mark your arrows and keep up with the ones that just don't fly consistently.  Some of them just don't and you should keep them out of your quiver.  Just have fun with it and keep practicing - it will come.  Maybe set yourself some reasonable goals right up front and decide what you are wanting to accomplish.  I went into this to deer hunt - I can put most of my arrows in a place as big as my hand out to 20 yards and that is accurate enough to put meat in the freezer.  It is a primitive weapon and you shouldn't be discouraged if you aren't getting a Robin Hood arrow split every time you turn loose.    There has been tons written on the subject and there are some great archers on here that can advise you better than me.  Ultimately, I think you just have to keep shooting till you get a "grooved" routine like you do with your golf swing, and practice till you can look at your target and hit it.  Good luck and I hope this helps. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 06:58:18 pm »
  First off since your fairly new at it. Forget about the distance and untill you get the basic's down. Stand close say 6 or 7 yards. Here where you don't need to push it. And worry about how good you hit at distances. Worry about doing the same things the sdame ways for a few weeks. Go slow now will save you a lot of frustration later on.
   First off do what comes natural to you.

(1) Cant your bow some what 45 % is a little to far for most people. Some where about mid way between straight up and 45 %. This is up to you. After a while do what comes natural for now around 50% will do.

(2) Stance, don't stand with your shoulder right at the target. Open up and stand slightly towands.
  Spread your feet a little lean into (towards) your target.
  Tilt your head down some (tuck your chin)

(3) Your ankor point it you shoot split finger most people use the middle finger in the corner of your mouth. This puts your eye close to the shaft and over it.
  I like to use a eye tooth

(4) Release ,release with the third figer down first. Do this the other 2 have to follow suit. You don't snap your fingers open or have the third finger laging putting pressure on the string. This causes the strig to stwist when released.
   As far as how long this has to do with what you like or comes natural to you. I like the controlled felling of about a second .
  I've taught my self to draw,hold,aim all comes together at once so if I hold any longer it throghs off the timeing of my shot.
  AGAIN AFTER YOU GET THE BASICS DOWN THEN GOTO WHAT FEELS NATURAL TO YOU.

(5) Keep your elbo bent as you draw and shoot ,don't lock it as if you have a compound.

(6)  Your grip sould be firm but not lose. Firm enough to stop you from rotateing the bow when you draw the bow. And not so hard that you swist the bow also.

(7) This might not seam important but it will. If shooting instintive NEVER NEVER think of how far it is. The longer you shoot the better your hand eye will put it all together. The better you shoot.
  Here's something else will help this a lot. I very seldom shoot across the yards where you know the distances. I do 90% of my practicing stump shooting where every shots different angle and distance.
   If you think your good start stumping you might find out just how good you are. Plus how can't use the exercise.
    WHEN IT COMES TO HUNTING SHOTS LEARN TO DO WHAT COMES NATURAL. Don't try to force someone elses ways of shooting on yourself and you enjoy shooting alot more and be better at it.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

FAW

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 11:13:13 am »
Thomas, I am no expert but after many. many years of traditional and primitive shooting, off the knuckle, off a rest, barebow, recurve and longbow I have found the following. 1. You will discover what type of bow you prefer - stay with that one. 2. Shoot real close - will not have to worry about accuracy here. 3. Learn your proper form, what cant you are comfortable with, keep you feet and bow shoulder at right angles to target and even move your near foot slightly ahead of your back foot to ensure that overall right angle. 4. Aiming instinct will take care of itself 5. Draw back slowly in a manner comfortable for you, try and hold at your chosen anchor and when you release, your fingers should remain where they are when released, just relax the fingers and the arrow just takes off and hold everything until that arrow reaches the target. 5. Shoot, shoot, shoot.

When your confidence improves, and it will, take longer shots, even have someone video tape your form, analyze it - see if you are shooting like some of the other shooters of your class and/or emulate the shooters who are getting it right.

Your form, shooting, and your own style will improve. Lots of media these days to help you through. Good luck.