Author Topic: Apple branch sapwood question.  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Apple branch sapwood question.
« on: February 03, 2013, 08:27:45 pm »
I managed to salvage an apple branch that was blown out of a tree this weekend in my grandfather-in law's house.  He said I could take whatever I wanted if I dragged the waste off his lawn and into the woods. I was happy to to do it, but only managed to get about a 4 foot section of branch. On the bright side it is quite straight and is about 4 inches in diameter on the narrow end, so I have some material to work with. I haven't debarked it yet but it appears to be in pretty good shape, so as long as there isn't some really bad internal twist I figure I can do something with it, definitely not a heavy hunting bow, but at least a kids bow, or target bow.

But I do have one question. Is the sapwood any good on apple? Should I make a sapwood backed bow? Or should I chase a ring all the way down to the heartwood?

Offline Peacebow_Coos

Re: Apple branch sapwood question.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 04:37:44 am »
As far as I know, which may not be correct ;0, you'd treat apple like a white wood which would make a sapwood backed bow.  That's awesome I've been wanting to try apple for some time, but can't seem to find anyone willing to sacrifice their apples :)  Good luck, post your progress!

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 08:30:19 am »
I have no experience with apple but at 4 inches diameter i would think you could slit it in half and splice it into a full length stave. If i remember right from posts i have read on here apple can be hard to keep from twisting and splitting if your not real carefull and try yo dry to fast.
Steve Bennett

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 09:16:31 am »
I have no experience with apple but at 4 inches diameter i would think you could slit it in half and splice it into a full length stave. If i remember right from posts i have read on here apple can be hard to keep from twisting and splitting if your not real carefull and try yo dry to fast.

You know I never even thought of that. That is some good thinking and something I'm definitely gonna consider.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 10:05:47 am »
Just remove the bark and make a bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 02:35:34 pm »
Yes, as Pat said - sap is good. Apple is very good bow wood, I like it very much. But it is hard to get good staves. Very nice wood easy to work on and very dense.

good luck with your billets
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 04:42:08 pm »
Thanks for the help guys, and I got more good news today too. Apparently he needs to trim back a big portion of a different apple tree on his property to make room for a little garage he is building onto his house.  I spotted a couple straight sections in the part that is going to get trimmed, so hopefully they aren't all twisted inside.