Author Topic: Does  (Read 9805 times)

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
Does
« on: October 19, 2007, 09:15:20 pm »
I'll bet some of you have enough hunting experience to know the answer to this.  The area that I am deer hunting in Western Washington this year is either sex.  I was looking for a buck in the early season, but in the late will take what I can get!  :-)  Some of the does I have seen have young ones tagging along.  Can someone tell me if a fawn this time of year would be able to make it throught the winter without the doe?  Or is taking a doe pretty much a death sentence for the young one?

Thanks,
Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline armymedic.2

Re: Does
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 10:07:02 pm »
keith, i have seen many a dink survive without mama around.  the key is that tghe winter is not incredibly harsh.  a good example is that we ween our calfs off of mama at 4-5 months.  that is to ensure they aere very big.   you can ween them at three months.  i think cattle and deer are alike in many ways, including that they are ruminents.     anyway, to your point, go ahead and add mama to the freezer, cause you won't hurt them dinks a bit.  the onl;y timw i would suggest leaving the mamas, is during very harsh winters, and that would only be so that the dinks learn to forage through heavy sniow and such.  whenh the does come into estrus they will ussually run off their fawns anyway.  whack em and stack em.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

tomm

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 12:27:43 am »
where in washington are you going to be hunting? I have hunted up around Mt Staint Hellans the last two years haven't seen but two deer. Misted a 5x5 elk though. I live in southwest washington haven't taken a deer with a bow but have gotten a few with a muzzle loader. I hunt 504 Stella in the early season if I hunt with a bow hunt the same area in late season if I hunt with a muzzle loader. I have also hunted in the cowemen area with a muzzle loader but I think that its open for bow in the early season. by this time of year the fawns are ab;e to go it on their own so don't pass up a shot the fawns will be fine. have a good hunt   tomm

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 06:57:16 am »
Like everybody said, unless they're unusually small, they should be fine by now to make it. Most of the fawns here are nearly as big as their mamas by now, and most of this year's doe fawns will get bred in the secondary rut in Dec and become mamas themselves. As a matter of fact, those 50-60 pounds fawns taste awful good, too, nice and tender.  >:D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

DBernier

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 08:25:58 am »
As Hillbilly said, down here the fawns are about if not as big as the mothers now. The one I shot at (see hunting update thread) is the fawn in the photo to the doe in the photo. I watched it grow from a spotted fawn to a near mature doe. It was well able to take care of its self and often appeared alone feeding in the evening.

Dick

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
Does
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 02:49:48 pm »
Thanks for the responses everyone.  I figured if Fish & Feathers was allowing us to take does, that they must have considered the fawn issue before setting the hunt date.  For instance, they say in the regs not to shoot a sow bear with cubs...

Around here, the fawns I am seeing are half the size of the does, but we don't have huge deer in Western Washington anyway.  We also have mild winters.  Tomm, I live in Tumwater, Washington.  I am hunting the Capitol Forest area.  I am sure there are better places, and might start looking for new areas as I get more immersed in Primitive Archery.  But there is something to be said about hunting in your own backyard...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 03:24:58 pm »
Generally by hunting season fawns are eating regular food even if they are still nursing. A nice bid fawn will taste better and is easier to carry than a full sized deer.
   Bears take longer to mature than deer and the cubs depend on their moms to show then what and where to eat plus where and how to hibernate in their first year.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 03:56:06 pm »
Wet does taste like crap!!!!  Shoot the big fawn and you will be happier.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

makete

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 08:05:55 pm »
I used to live in westwern Washington and never concerned my self with the fawns as we have very mild winters. Mostly rain, right? 

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 02:41:50 pm »
Justin:  Does the lactation affect the taste?  I'd never heard that. 

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 04:19:26 pm »
Justin:  Does the lactation affect the taste?  I'd never heard that. 

Otoe
I believe it is the hormones that cause lactation that change the taste, but yes a lactating doe does taste bad.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 05:15:56 pm »
Hmm, I don't know about that, I've ate a few and they tasted like any other deer. Might be a regional thing. Plus you get a free glass of milk.  ;D  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 06:15:34 pm »
Hmm, I don't know about that, I've ate a few and they tasted like any other deer. Might be a regional thing. Plus you get a free glass of milk.  ;D  ;D
I like milk cold thanks.  ;) Might be a mule deer thing too. We dont shoot the rutting bucks either, they taste funky too.  Justin

SW Utah

Minuteman

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 06:46:35 pm »
I agreee with ya Justin on the ruttin bucks tastin nasty  :o. But have to disagree with you about the lactating does tasting funky. ALL the does this time of year are lactating, unless they lost a fawn early on. How do you tell if they aren't, hunt from a pit and hope they walk over top of ya so you can check the udder? ???

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 07:48:21 pm »
i have eaten a lot of lactating does, all tasted good to me.  i have had bucks that taste bad, but not all.  the older ones have always tasted bad for me, but you can't tell when they are made into sausage!   and yeah, bambi is by far the best tasting-hands down, no questions asked or accepted  ;)
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.