Author Topic: Sassafras  (Read 23073 times)

Beleg813

Sassafras
« on: October 19, 2007, 10:12:06 pm »
So, I was reading some information about "natural" mosquito-repellants. I noticed a certain trend, but I saw several mentions of "Sassafras" and it being one of those passed-down-from old Native American herbal remedies, etc. I found this exceptionally interesting and kept reading and found out this individual would drink sassafras root-tea several days prior to going out in the woods. According to this individual he not only avoided mosquitoes, but ticks, and every other creature of the sort. Didn't touch him. Now, he gave a few friends (and told them not to tell anyone as a means to test this theory) and the one's that took the tea days prior came back with no bug bites and the others were covered.

Now, I also find out that the original Sassafras root was removed from root beer back in the 60's because of the substance called Saphrole, which not only lead to significant findings of it leading to cancer (if taken in large amounts over an extended period of time) by the FDA. Now, it's illegal to consume Sassafras roots....and Saphrole, I've found out is one of the ingredients in ecstasy...that drug.

Does anyone know if rubbing sassafras could act as much of a mosquito-bug repellant if you apply it directly to your skin? Or, must it be consumed. I have a pound or two of the root (just love the way it smells)..but I'm scared to drink the tea because well...it's illegal to consume, and because if taken in large quantities may lead to cancer.

Thoughts?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Sassafras
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 07:08:39 am »
I've never heard that sassafrass was illegal to consume, not doubting you, but I don't see why or how it would be enforcable. I've drunk sassafrass tea off and on all my life, and so did most of the older people around here. As far as the carcinogenic properties, I read somewhere that you would have to drink ten gallons a day for 50 years or something ridiculous like that to get the amount of safrole that the experiments were using on the rats. The air you breath nowadays is probably more carcinogenic than that. I would be quite certain that sassafrass bark is considerably less carcinogenic than all the commercial chemical insect repellents that everybody douses themselves in. Don't think I'd worry at all about drinking sassafrass tea. Elderberry leaves rubbed on the skin will act as an insect repellent, I've used them many times with good results.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 07:35:03 am by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Beleg813

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 12:28:38 pm »
Thanks for the response Hillbilly. I read that the FDA pulled the sassafras "containing saphrole" out from the main ingredient in root beer. They also made it illegal to consume the root / bark. Now, I agree whole-heartedly that the concentration of harmful carconogenic properties is ...considerably less than second-hand smoke or a thousand other things in our current environment. And, I am quite sure I remember my mom telling me she used to chew on the root for something with flavor when they'd run about in the woods. Thanks for the elderberry tip...I've got some dried elderberry right now that I could make into a nice cream or something hehe fun experimenting!

Beleg813

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 07:35:48 pm »
I talked to a few co-workers and loads of relatives about Sassafras. 75% of the people I talked to has heard of the root, has drank sassafras tea, or knew someone that had.

I'm guessing with a mortle / pestle one could crush up some elderberries and perhaps after cutting through a sassafras gather up the shavings and crush up some really fine mosquito deterrant.

I noticed that when I was cutting my sassafras root to put into bags, that the saw dust from them was very juicy, meaty, oily--those kind of properties mixed with elderberry would seem to make a lotion or something.

Something to think about, that's for sure :)

jamie

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 08:23:34 pm »
i drink sassafras all the time. there are more carcinogens in beer than there is in sassafras and i dont see anybody worried about banning beer. never mind cigarettes. be careful with elder leaves and bark . they are poisonous if ingested. they will also cause dermititis on some people. ive used it like hillbilly said with no problem. peace

Offline Mike_A

• Mike Ailstock Gatesville, TX
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 09:28:21 pm »
Hi all. This post got me doing some research and from what I came up with it seems that the root bark is the main source of the safrole oil and that is the ingredient that's used in ecstacy and is illegal. I also found that it's illegal to sell sassafras tea, the roots, bark, and leaves. I didn't see anything that stated drinking sassafras tea is illegal, and it's been moved down the list by the fda to being mildly toxic. I've drink the stuff whenever I could get it throughout my life. I'm thinking if your really worried about the health hazard and still want to enjoy your tea then removing the bark from the root may be the way to go. I'm no expert at this and I'm not really worried about getting cancer from it myself, but removing the bark seems like it should work to get rid of most of the saffrole oil. Maybe it's just me. Ya'll have a good day. Mike
Proud member of PETA ( People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Beleg813

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 05:31:51 pm »
Hey, thanks a lot for the research Mikea132.

Originally, after seeing Sassafras tea being made illegal to sell..I think I assumed that it was because it had carcinogens and contained safrole. The interesting part is--it still can be sold..just not as something that is consumed (from what I found). Personally, I find anything labelled as "may lead to cancer" sort of a CYA (cover your *##) sort of a thing, and I'm not scared that it may lead to cancer. Hell, I drink enough coffee daily to put down an elephant, and I'm sure that's not exactly healthy, no labels on that though is there?

Thanks for the heads up Jamie--even the berries carry a very slight amount of "possible" toxicity I hear...but they say it only affects few people. I actually bought dried up elderberries from a herb store, so I'm hoping to NOT get some form of stomach poisoning or skin irritation from 'em.

I seem to remember reading about a cult-like organization group in California that ate of the elderberry bark, leaves, stems, etc and mixing it into a tea...and most were out of commission or even better had to have their stomachs pumped, force-fed charcoal, etc. ....blech.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 08:51:27 pm »
Just to give you guys some food for thought. Take a look at the EPA's Maximim Contaminent Levels(MCL'S) on drinking water. They are getting
riduculously low, just because a scientist developes a new test with lower detection levels they feel the need to change the MCL's. Even though you would have to drink
a 1000 gallons a day  for 50 years to have a 0.10% chance of getting cancer. For instance the level of Mercury I am allowed to discharge for our sewage treatment plant is lower than what normal rainfall has ??? Go figure eh!!!
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Beleg813

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 06:55:28 pm »
Crazy numbers Dana..that's just crazy.

Offline david w.

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 07:22:23 pm »
yesterday i was reading in the Foxfire books that there was a sying if you drank sassafrass tea in March you wouldnt need a doctor all year long and i read it was one of the first woods exported for it medicinal value. i dont see why it would hurt you
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Beleg813

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 09:26:50 pm »
Honestly, I don't see how it would hurt me either. And, I can't come up with a reason as to why it's consumption would be illegal. I mean saphrole is found in nutmeg, but nutmeg isn't illegal. File is a spice that is made from Sassafras yet it is consumed in cajun dishes. I just don't get it.

Offline RG

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 11:27:10 pm »
I am 56 years old and grew up in WVa I drank this tea for years and did not matter if the bark was off the root or not I think evryone gets tore up over all the stuff they read and no one knows  what is true and what is not

Beleg813

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 11:29:42 pm »
I think that's part of it. I think the other part is quite unfortunate, the fact that the FDA making the consumption of the bark of the tree root illegal. Quoting all that "may lead to cancer" BS for whatever reason...makes me upset. I might've already enjoyed a few cups of fine sassafras tea if it weren't for that.

Oh well, live and learn...right?

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 10:54:04 am »
Ill be drinking some soon, my grandparents always did,hot or cold and they lived to their late 90s. They didnt trust all the stuff in print and other hearsay,they trusted what they had learned from their parents,and so on till you get back to the primitives, and thats why we are all here on this big ole planet anyhoo......man am I rambling? Must be the tea........
laugh. its good for ya

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 11:24:40 pm »
     I agree with the others.  My parents used to drink sassafras tea, and drank it when I could get it.  Never had any problems, and like any other herb, or drink, if you abuse it you can get into trouble.  Like they said, you would have to drink an enormous amount to get sick, or have any unhealthy effects.  I for one have no like, or trust in the FDA.  As far as I am concerned, they and the drug companies are one and the same.  You only have to look at the Viox, and the other drug, which I can't recall at the moment...must have drank one cup too many of sassafras......They finally took it off the market when it became public that more than fifty thousand people had died from it, while following directions.  But a month later, it put the drugs back on the market with a little warning, that they might cause serious health problems......When you are making billions in profit, you can grease a palm pretty well!  Now lets look at Ma Huang, or ephedra.  A chinese herb that has been used in traditional medicines for over a thousand years.  When used as directed, extremely few people have any adverse reactions to it.  But
according to news reports, " Approxamately five thousand people had died or had serious adverse affects from it. "
     The majority of those people had abused it, or not followed the directions, with the " if this much is good, then how about this much? ", mentality.  So it was banned in the interest of the publics health.  The FDA being much concerned for us.  Uh huh.  You betcha.  As it turns out it is now estimated that more than eighty thousand or more had died or had serious results form taking viox and the other drug.  Linus Pauling said taking a thousand units of vitim C, and a thousand units of Vitim E a day had shown to help people with cancer to live longer .  Then FDA tried make it so that you could only Buy vitamins with a Doctors prescription, and the vitamins would be much less in dosage.  Since that tatic failed, the FDA, comes up with a " Study " Never said by whom, or how it was conducted ", and says that too much vitamin C and E can be harmful for you.  In the amount it would take to be harmful, you couldn't afford them anyway.  Ok, I'll stop ranting, but as for Sassafras, I will still drink it, when I can get the root bark.  Next time I am in Ga. I will have to look for it.

A  very fruitful hunting season to all, and a great Thanks Giving,

Stickbender