Author Topic: Sassafras  (Read 23174 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: Sassafras
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 11:28:27 pm »
     Ooops, let me clarify the numbers, a bit in the reply to Sassafras, It should be " Five Thousand " not fifty thousand, that had died or had serious advers affects from abusing Ma Huang, ( Ephedra ).

Sorry about that, Chief......
                                                                  Stickbender

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 02:30:50 pm »
Ya know, I'm certainly no Albert Schweitzer or anything but it seems to me like the FDA can't be trusted as far as you can throw em. They have approved of poisons for human consumption such as aspartame etc... for years and thats why we got so many obese women running around with a diet pop and candy bar. The big pharmacy companies and big chemical companies can't patent a natural substance, so they make something artificial they can control and then make everyone believe that the natural compounds are baaad for you, and on top of that they make it illegal....interesting isn't it. And then when the artificial substance creates health problems they blame it on everything else and sell you some perscriptions to take care of the symptoms that the artificial stuff creates. It's just one big shell game they are playing.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Beleg813

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 04:28:26 pm »
Hehe, I agree. Totally, I don't trust the FDA, I don't think they do what's right, and like everything else have a certain amount of corruption and greed.

If we all were to listen to the FDA and every other person or agency whatever that said not to drink this and don't do that...we'd all have to live in padded rooms sipping water from straws that had the edges softened to not cut our lips...because cuts can lead to infections..and those invariably lead to death.

I think the FDA should go out, have a few beers, relax, and try to solve problems about people killing one another with guns, and other far more deadly things than worry about what natural medicinal substance MAY lead to cancer if you overdose it, live next to power lines, and eat paint chips :)

jamie

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 04:36:44 pm »
what! i cant eat paint chips! damn it!!!!!! ;D

Beleg813

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 09:06:02 pm »
Ok, Jamie, just for you I think you should be allowed to eat paint chips  :P

...I'll just be under these here powerlines..

jamie

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 09:39:46 pm »
 ;D

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 10:47:12 pm »
    UH. Ya aint supposed ta eat em ' ? ;D....bob

Beleg813

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2007, 01:06:59 pm »
If eating paint chips is the secret to your success Bob--then pass 'em this way!! Speaking of paint chips--I'm very willing to make some "nice" trades...you take the paint chips and I'll take some o' those nice bows off your hands!

shootinbud

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2007, 10:34:50 pm »
every spring i go out into my dads woods to gather the roots, i love the tea and i see no harm in the stuff. also i  think if it was in fact illegal to drink then there would be clear notices and stuff in the rural areas where i live and the plant grows.

Beleg813

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2007, 12:10:23 am »
Shootinbud, I see no harm in the stuff either. And, I think it's pretty lame that something that has less toxins than probably a beer is illegal. That being said--I got this from the FDA website for your perusal. I think perhaps the lack of clear notices is probably indicative of a) more than just you and your dad goes to the woods to gather roots for tea b) I don't think it's a law that's really talked about, perhaps because it's another unpopular one c) with all the problems out there in the world--I really don't think law enforcement is going to have time to monitor all sassafras trees and the root usage of them :)

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/FCF189.html

TITLE 21--FOOD AND DRUGS

CHAPTER I--FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN
                          SERVICES (CONTINUED)

PART 189--SUBSTANCES PROHIBITED FROM USE IN HUMAN FOOD--Table of Contents

Subpart B--Substances Generally Prohibited From Direct Addition or Use
                              as Human Food

Sec. 189.180  Safrole.

(a) Safrole is the chemical 4-allyl-1,2-methylenedioxy-benzene,
C10H10O2. It is a natural constituent
of the sassafras plant. Oil of sassafras is about 80 percent safrole.
Isosafrole and dihydrosafrole are derivatives of safrole, and have been
used as flavoring compounds.
    (b) Food containing any added safrole, oil of sassafras, isosafrole,
or dihydrosafrole, as such, or food containing any safrole, oil of
sassafras, isosafrole, or dihydrosafrole, e.g., sassafras bark, which is
intended solely or primarily as a vehicle for imparting such substances
to another food, e.g., sassafras tea, is deemed to be adulterated in
violation of the act based upon an order published in the Federal
Register of December 3, 1960 (25 FR 12412).
    (c) The analytical method used for detecting safrole, isosafrole and
dihydrosafrole is in the "Journal of the Association of Official
Analytical Chemists," Volume 54 (Number 4), pages 900 to 902, July
1971, which is incorporated by reference. Copies are available from the
Division of Food and Color Additives, Center for Food Safety and Applied
Nutrition (HFS-200), Food and Drug Administration, 5100 Paint Branch
Pkwy., College Park, MD 20740, or available for inspection at the Office
of the Federal Register, 800 North Capitol Street, NW., suite 700,
Washington, DC 20408.

[42 FR 14659, Mar. 15, 1977, as amended at 42 FR 56729, Oct. 28, 1977;
47 FR 11855, Mar. 19, 1982; 54 FR 24900, June 12, 1989]

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2007, 10:12:47 am »
I would interpret that as being illegal to sell   foods containing safrole to the public, not being illegal to brew yourself a cup of sassafrass tea. The FDA is generally in the business of checking/regulating the food you buy before it gets to you, not checking to see what's on your plate or in your glass.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Beleg813

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2007, 09:21:19 pm »
I think you are right Hillbilly. I think I remember seeing something more specific about it being illegal to sell sassafras (with the saphrole intact) for the purpose of consumption. Just remember all--we should all feel safe when we eat foods that have the FDA's approval :sarcasm off:

>:D

Glenn R.

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2007, 01:38:28 am »
I got on this thread late but if anyone is interested here's what little I know,  Yes the FDA made it illegal for consumption but as far as I know there is no law preventing a person from digging/drinking it themselves.

Sasafrass should only be dug in a month with the letter 'R' in it. This way the sap is in the roots.

I drink Sasafrass tea all the time--seems to make me feel better. I have an old book on cures and natural medicines that says drinking the tea is a natural blood thinner.

Yes its a natural mosquito repellant--our woods are choked with it--my neighbor said the ol' timers always said if you got sasafrass trees in your woods the sceeters stay out.

And one of my friends (Dave Sawyer) had a grandfather  (as he says) who died from drinking sasafrass tea--he must have consumed too much-----he was 97 when he passed.   

I'M IN NO WAY CONDONING THE DRINKING OF SASAFRASS TEA--I just think its hard to believe a natural herb/root could be more harmfull for us than all the cr&p they shove in our processed foods these days.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2007, 10:33:23 am »
Also, the classic cajun "file gumbo" is seasoned and thickened with dried, powdered sassafrass leaves. I'd guess that tons of leaves are used by people in Louisiana for seasoning every year, and you don't hear about anything bad happening to them because of it. They apparantly learned to use it from the Choctaws, who undoubtedly used it for hundreds of years.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 10:35:43 am by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2007, 12:48:44 pm »
All this talk about sassafrass is making me want to get some and try it. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God