Author Topic: Sassafras  (Read 23175 times)

Beleg813

Re: Sassafras
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2007, 04:24:46 pm »
Hillbilly,

That's very interesting. One of my thousands of "things to do" is try to find the paper trail that leads to my native american roots..a horrible, daunting task. I, for whatever reason, was not aware that Choctaw were even in Louisiana! Thanks for that info I'll have to do some looking into that!! On a note more on topic (sorry!) Safrole is also in Nutmeg, but people aren't pulling that spice off the shelves, either.

Glenn R.,

Thanks for confirming the mosquito-repellant aspect of it. Man, I wish I had some land--I'd love to plant a bunch of trees (some Sass in there too of course!) Sit back and just watch them grow along with a family..ahh it's a dream!

ozark caveman

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2008, 10:06:15 am »
I'm kinda late on this subject but it makes a great bow!

Beleg813

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 10:59:45 pm »
I just bought another pound of the roots...I love the way the stuff smells, and I've thought about making my next bow (if I ever finish my first which is a HUGE IF) out of Sassafras. That root-beer like smell is just awesome to me.

...I don't think my wife feels the same way unfortunately  >:(

humaza

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 10:16:21 pm »
Nobody mentioned the narcotic properties in sassafras, you can chew it like bitter root for toothaches, I drink the tea for migraines, and it's d4mned tasty.

Beleg - paper trails and indians don't get along =P Especially with the five civilized tribes, unless you're in OK it's highly unlikely you'd find most any information

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2008, 10:06:41 pm »
I puchased some sassafras essential oil for my buisness not long ago. The paper work I had to fill out was quite detailed. Turns out the oil can be used not just for making ecstasy but for Meth also.  Thats why the original law was passed to make it difficult to sell and purchase sassafrass. But, you can still purchase it if you fill out the correct paper work.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline stickbender

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2008, 07:43:01 pm »

Drug companies, FDA, all one and the same.  One pays, one accepts, and then tells the public it is supposed to protect, not to do what ever the ones paying says not to do.  Oh, yeah, I'm from the Government, I'm here to help you.  Uh, thanks, but no thanks.
Just look at the mah wong, and the celebrex, I think it was.  appx. 5,000 people died from abusing, or not following directions for Mah Wong.  Well the FDA being the celestial guardians they are, put a stop the sale of Mah Wong, and told how awful it was.  Along comes Celebrex and another drug, put out by the Drug companies, and it kills appx 50,000 people, and now it has been revised to appx 80,000 people that have died from using these products.  Oh, ok, we will take it off the market.  For a month.  Then with their magical wand the FDA approves the products, if they will put in very fine print that it may cause problems, and death.  Hmm, I wonder how much palm grease that tooK?  Anyway, like I said FDA, Drug companies, one and the same.  Hey, here is some research money, oh, and could you just sign this drug off please......