Author Topic: Howdy from Texas  (Read 5799 times)

Offline AndrewH

Howdy from Texas
« on: February 05, 2013, 12:02:40 pm »
Good morning folks, just checking in for the first time and introducing myself.

I'm currently a 38 year old college student....heh, after 14 years in the real world getting my rear end kicked, I'm back working on my MBA and going to school full time. Even then, I have enough free time to enjoy life and work on a hobby or two and for the past year, I've been slowly building a tool kit for wood working. For the most part, I'm a turner and craft pieces on my lathe which is rewarding but sometimes frustrating. Always a learning experience.

I am also a hunter and I'm very fortunate to have a large piece of property close to me...the remaining vestiges of the legacy of a family construction business that is in the final stages of a long, grueling death, unfortunately.

As far as archery goes, I have dabbled in it before. I had a PSE GForce compound and was fairly adept at turning targets into swiss cheese but with work, I was not as able to get out and hunt as much as I would have liked and gravitated back to the rifle before season's end. I eventually sold the bow to a friend. A few seasons ago I committed myself to getting back into it but blew up my shoulder lifting weights so....

Now, well, things have changed. Losing your business is painful but it gave me new perspective on things. Going back to school has been an incredible experience and I am enjoying it and what it does for me psychologically. I spend alot of time out on the ranch, hiking around and hunting in season and its time for a new challenge.

Yes, mt last name really is 'Hood', meaning, I must be kinfolks to probably the most famous archer in history.....And I have a decent shop to work with. I'm under no illusion that its going to be easy. In fact, I decided it would be counter productive to trial and error build bows without knowing what I was aiming for so I ordered a PSE Blackhawk recurve to practice with and familiarize myself with it.

I more or less harvest my own wood and have tons of mesquite, cedar, and some pecan, hackberry, blackwalnut, and sycamore here and there. I currently have access to a TON of ash which may be my best bet starting out.

I've been over this sight quite a bit in the past week or so and there's tons of great information I'm looking to devour and utilize. Sorry, I'm long winded but there it is. Looking forward to getting started!
San Antonio, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Howdy from Texas
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 01:13:02 pm »
Welcome to PA, Andrew. I'm sure you will find what you are looking fore here.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 01:05:32 pm »
Welcome to PA Andrew. Life has a way of throwing curves and coarse direction changes. I think this is one that will be a blessing to your life and bring years of enjoyment. There is something magical about shooting and hunting with all your own hand made gear. Chasing the dream of taking that first buck or elk with all primitive gear is an accomplishment full of reward for those that do it. Don't be afraid to ask questions when you need help. That is what this family is all about

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 01:23:29 pm »
Welcome Andrew,

I'm in Houston so if you get over this way look me up...  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 12:27:48 am »
Welcome to PA Andrew. This site is full of a lot of things including a bunch of great guys with centuries of combined knowledge on many things. I think you will enjoy it.   Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 06:54:06 am »
Welcome,glad to have you on board.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 11:28:38 pm »
Welcome Andrew.  I'm up the road in Boerne.  Glad you could join us.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bigpapa

• all the senorita's call me bigpapa
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 12:51:27 am »
Welcome aboard,  ;D always hood to have another Texan!
Our only limitations in life are the ones we put on ourselves!
Dream your dreams, and fly like the eagles!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 03:20:23 am »
Greetings from Midland, Texas!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr