Author Topic: "Become the Arrow"  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Slackbunny

"Become the Arrow"
« on: February 05, 2013, 10:36:42 pm »
Anybody read "Become the Arrow" by Byron Ferguson? I'm looking at it right now on Amazon and just wondering if its worth a read. I've been interested in the gap shooting method lately and I think that is what is book focuses on, is that right?

Offline Lemos

Re: "Become the Arrow"
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 02:02:24 am »
I have it's nat a bad book. I think it's in my items to garage sale if you want it ill see if its still there and send it to you

Offline Eastman

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 03:32:06 pm »
The book definitely is great. But it's about "instinctive" shooting, not about gap shooting. From what I have read his method is to line up the arrow under the eye,creating a 'gap' but looking instead at where you want to hit.
''The joy is great of him who strays, in shady woods on summer days, With eyes alert and muscles steady , His long-bow strung, his arrows ready''  -Maurice Thompson

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 08:21:36 pm »
Good book.  What I took out of it is that the zen-voodoo sounding thing of "become the arrow" boils down to visualizing the flight trajectory of the arrow, building upon Howard Hill's split vision aiming.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 03:56:12 pm »
Well I got the book, and read pretty much the whole thing this morning. I have to say I liked it. It covered most of my questions and concerns. Its not really gap shooting, but its not really instinctive shooting either. Its kind of a hybrid. But it is really good for describing a particular form for shooting. I haven't been able to work out my own form, so I figured I needed to try set method. Hopefully I can settle in to this style and improve my accuracy.

I was worried that it might be a little hokey with all the comments about zen and stuff in the reviews, but it was actually quite practical and helpful to me.