Author Topic: Cherry bark grip advise.  (Read 5160 times)

Offline autologus

Cherry bark grip advise.
« on: July 10, 2014, 11:35:15 pm »
I would like some opinions.  I am going to do a cherry bark grip on my trade bow but would like some advise on how to do it.  I can cut it into strips about 12 inches long or try to wrap it in a single piece. Also advise on how to apply it. I was thinking about putting glue on the handle and wrapping with strips then putting the same sealer on it I use for the bow.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Cherry bark grip advise.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 11:54:27 pm »
I just did one recently. I took a 14"ish strip, and pre steelwool/sanded it. I figured it would be harder to do when it was already wrapped.
I cut the strip in half, so I had two 1.5" wide strips, and I only needed one. I already had a few coats of tung oil on the bow, but my super glue doesn't mind it and sets really fast. I cut the one end at an angle, and started wrapping, gluing as I went. About mid way it started to get a little weird, so I split the remaining length and kept wrapping and gluing the 2 separate pieces.
Sorry, hope this made sense. I posted a sinew backed juniper bow recently, that has a cheery bark grip. Might make more sense if you saw it

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 01:08:33 am »
Do you mean like this?

Offline autologus

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 07:53:20 am »
Ill look your post up wiz.  Blacktail I really like those they look great. How did you apply them?

Grady

Offline autologus

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 07:57:00 am »
I just looked up the sinew backed juniper wiz it looks great too.  Did you pre-soak your bark to make it pliable before you glued it on?

Grady

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 12:30:09 am »
i just used strips that are 1/2-1 inch wide..i soaked them in warm water for a few minutes...then applyed title bond 3 to the handle area and wrapped the bark around with an ace bandage..let it dry for a day....then i would do anther strip until the handle is covered...then just use artificail sinew and super glue...then seal it up...