Author Topic: The Bad With The Good  (Read 7971 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: The Bad With The Good
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 05:27:51 am »
Oh man  :'( I feel your pain.
That looked sooo sweet too.
Forgive me if I'm stating the bleedin' obvious here
I'm sure you can see for yourself you'd left virtually no horn at the nock.
I generally have very little groove a the side of the tip, especially if you are making 'em reall skinny, After all the string moves up and down along the side as the string angle changes so it doesn't want to sit in a groove.
Dunno if I'm getting fanciful now, but if the string is tight in a groove up the side of the nock, then as the string angle changes it will be sort of trying to lever the tip over towards the back of the bow.
See attached pic... ok it's only from a weedy 50# bow but it shows what I mean (btw it's 1/2" wide at it's widest point)

Maybe that's why full ELB horn nocks are a good idea? you retain a full circle of horn where the string sits* and thay can still be pretty skinny.
Oh dude, that must've felt like a kick in the guts.
Again oppologies... I don't mean to treat you like some newbie..... (tugs forelock and backs carefully away from the keyboard)
Del
* I have on occasion had 'em where the wood peeked through a tiny bit at the side.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 06:33:28 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 12:33:12 pm »
No offense Del! The reason I post failures is to get feedback about alternate ways to fix mistakes. I will definitely heed your advice. I certainly cut the string grooves way too deep.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 01:46:18 pm »
Dek, I love your nocks..very cool!
So you don't groove the sides at all? maybe I'll rethink how I do that on ELB's now...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 02:00:16 pm »
Dek, I love your nocks..very cool!
So you don't groove the sides at all? maybe I'll rethink how I do that on ELB's now...
Sometimes there's a hint of a groove, but I take care to look at how the string sits at brace and full draw.
Here's the top nock of the same bow, you can see the groove goes round the side a bit more on this one.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 04:33:53 pm »
I'm also going to re-think cutting the side grooves too deep.