Author Topic: Beginner at bow making...  (Read 6575 times)

Offline StickMan47

Re: Beginner at bow making...
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 05:10:12 pm »
Oh, BTW, if that is free wood I would cut it and season it and give it a try. Those photos showed some good looking staves. I have some oak that I cut and letting cure at the moment. Sometimes oak will have hidden knots in it that will not show up till you start scraping away wood. I think these spots was caused by damage when the tree was young, either by a lost limb or perhaps an insect or bird and the tree healed itself as it grew older. I have found these "hidden" knots in one of my oak staves where there was no apparent knot when viewed from the bark or outside of the tree. The ones I found are fairly small, about dime to nickle size. One of them appeared right on the edge of my limb on the belly side right at mid-limb. I don't know if all oaks are this way or not though.
Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 01:40:21 pm »
Hey stickman, your not stepping on any toes here. I didn't do any research on the photos. Just took a guess as the leaves look similar to my tree. But after your post I looked again and you are probably right, as the leaves do have more of a oak shape. No tree expert here, for sure.

Offline StickMan47

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 02:51:59 pm »
Thanks Spyder. I'm no expert either, thats why I went and bought the field guide. I did forestry judging back in high school and tree identification was a big part of that. However, that was many, many moons ago! Lol. Since I have joined here I noticed a post comes up every now and then about tree ID, so I figured since my bow building skills ain't where I feel comfortable giving advice, then perhaps I could help in another way.
Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 03:09:37 pm »
Thanks For all the info guys it really helps  :)
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you