Author Topic: Why does my arrows do this?  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Beacon Archer

Why does my arrows do this?
« on: February 13, 2013, 05:04:52 pm »
Hello,

I just finished my first bow. Red Oak, 72" long, 50 Pounds at 28" draw. Was a lot of fun. Took it to the range for the first time and she works! Not bad at all. The one thing I can't figure out is why my arrows seem to "Fish Tail" so much. I know I do not have the best release, but almost every single arrow seems to do this. Is there a cause for this in the bow itself and is it something I can take care of in my next build or is it just me?

Thanks

Offline danny f

Re: Why does my arrows do this?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 05:08:32 pm »
it sounds like your arrows arn't the correct spine for your  bow. i dont know if they are to stiff or not stiff enough though maybe someone with more knowledge than me will know.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 05:19:27 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 05:30:27 pm »
Shoot cane arras... ;)

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 05:34:48 pm »
Do you spine cane arrows? If so, are they any different than checking the spine of dowels?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 06:31:59 pm »
Well it depends. Typically, arrows that are too weak of spine for the bow used will do this. Or your arrows are too long/broad head too heavy, etc, which would make them too weak of spine as well. Arrows that are too strong of spine will stay stiff, like big darts. But they will not go where you point them. If your handle is very big, then you will need weaker spine arrows to paradox around the large handle and go where you point them, and I think sometimes an arrow of the correct spine for the bow with the fat handle will fish tail a bit. I think anyway. That is according to my meager understanding. I just recently made my first spine tester, and am only recently making better matched arrows for my bows.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 07:10:34 pm »
Is the wobble side to side like a fish or up and down like a dolphin? If it wobbles up and down, you may need to adjust your nocking point up or down. If it is side to side it generally has to do with spine. Sometimes adjusting your brace height will help some, but not if the spine is way off.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 11:19:41 pm »
If you are right handed:
...And the arrow come off the string and the fletching end immediately dodges to the left then you can try shortening the arrow because the shaft is not stiff enough.  If it kicks to the right, then the shaft is too stiff and you will need to either sand the middle section of the shaft until it weakens.  Or you can add a heavier field point to compensate. 

If you are left handed:
Do the above, but substitute left for right and vice versa.

Or you can give up in disgust and throw your bow in the river or the bushes.  But what's the fun in that?!?!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Beacon Archer

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 12:31:18 am »
Sorry guys, I forgot to tell you what type arrows I'm using:

Gold Tip XT Hunter 5575 (Carbon). I use them for my 45X recurve.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 12:40:36 am »
Those are WAY too stiff for a 50# LB!

Offline Beacon Archer

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 01:25:57 pm »
Thanks for the replies. So it looks like it was not anything in the build process. It is either the arrows or me. I appreciate the help. Off to get supplies for my next bow.