Author Topic: Hitting low & left while sitting  (Read 4734 times)

Matney

Hitting low & left while sitting
« on: October 22, 2007, 05:46:57 pm »
Well we had a good sun break today here in central washington, so I took my bow out back and shot a bit. I was hitting the mark right on or keeping them within 2 inches at 18 yards while standing. But for some reason when I sat down to shoot I was missing by a foot, low and to the left. I haven't shot for a couple of weeks, but before it didn't make any difference if I was standing or sitting, I hit the same then.  I like to practice sitting & kneeling, as I hunt from the ground. I hate to end a practice session feeling bad, so I finally just shot standing and did well.

Offline armymedic.2

Re: Hitting low & left while sitting
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 06:11:40 pm »
my guess would be that your first shot or too were just bad shots, and then you continuosly pushed the bow out of the way to watch your shots, making the drop low and left,  i know when i get tired, or when i want to see the arrow in flight i push it like that.  very frustrating.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 09:56:04 pm »
Were you anchoring in the same place as you were standing while sitting? How about the cant of the bow being different when sitting? Just some of my mistakes I made and I guess I still make from time to time. Good luck!
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 10:04:19 am »
Are you left handed? if so your just canting your bow more than you do when standing, comon problem with longbows, trying to clear the lower limb when sitting. Make sure your gripping the bow as close to the arrow or shelf as posable and that should decrease the amount it throws you off.(same thing works for rightys they just hit low and right)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 10:49:35 am »
Shooting low and to the left often happens when the bow is a little stout. To get those final couple inches in the draw, a shooter will "overcompensate", pushing the left arm left and down while the draw arm is bouncing back. Maybe shooting from a sitting position is causing the current weight to be a bit much.

If you can borrow or have a lighter pound bow, see if it gives you the same problem.
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Matney

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 08:54:14 pm »
Thanks all for the thoughts. Looking back I think I was a little fatigued and was gripping different because I forgot to mention that the string was almost slapping my left arm. Not enough to hurt but this morning I have a small bruise. I didn't get a chance to shoot today, hopefully in the morning. Thanks, Ken

Offline Postman

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 10:16:54 am »
I agree with the singing bowyer - had the same problem when I switched to traditional recently with a 67 lb. self bow.
"Hello, my names John, and i'm  a recovering compoundholic...."

Thanks to everyone one this site for helping me back from the dark side - glad i never used a release or I'd have been hopeless this year.. 
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA