Author Topic: Shark teeth  (Read 9816 times)

Beleg813

Shark teeth
« on: October 22, 2007, 06:14:13 pm »
I'm sure someone has thought of this before (perhaps a native tribe actually did it). Anyways, has anyone used shark's teeth as a broadhead?

Along with making my bow I'm trying to learn all the skills (which seems to be a daunting task), and I'm looking for creative, yet more primitive ways, to come up with things.

any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

Offline Kegan

Re: Shark teeth
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 07:05:26 pm »
If bone works, then teethe would! Especially shark teeth, which I believe are slightly serrated? I believe there is record of some tribes using them, just don't know where.

Beleg813

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 07:32:51 pm »
I was looking at the shape of them the other day in a craft-like store and noticed how some were almost perfectly symmetrical...which caught my eye. It's weird, but now when I look at anything I'm think to myself, "how can this help me with archery?"...

Yes, from what I've seen, most if not all are serrated. But, I've only seen them in craft-type stores, etc. hehe, have yet to get desperate enough to start prying them out of shark's mouths....but give me a month or so when my bow maybe ready and we'll see :D

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 08:59:51 pm »
I've tried, but I've never had ones that are big enough to make some serious head out of,
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 09:15:51 pm »
I've seen pics of old Seminole arrows with points made from shark teeth, alligator gar scales, and stingray barbs. I'm sure other people used them too. They're designed to cut flesh, so they probably make good points. Native Americans were good at utilizing local resources efficiently, so I'm sure they were used wherever they were available, especially if knappable stone was scarce.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 10:30:43 pm »
Hey, I had the same thought this summer watching Discovery Channel's Shark Week. I was curious about what size of tooth would work for deer and would it be durable enough for the ribs and bone. Surely someone out there has used them before?
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 12:10:22 am »
Their are shark teeth in the arrow head book (artifacts) I can't remember what region they were in though - prolly along the coast somewhere ;D. So yes they were used.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 12:12:59 am »
Ill bet I know someone who has used them.  Lets see some pictures Bob.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

MattE

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 08:36:42 am »
Shark teeth were used by tribes on our coast here in N.C. I live 90 miles from the coast and once in a while I find shark teeth while searching for artifacts.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 05:53:50 pm »
    Hey Justin, dont ya know sting ray barbs are illegal ! ;D The others (alligator gar scales an tarpon) sare hard ta find wide enuf (law says 7/8 "). Have ta be a HUGE shark. There was this tiger shark, ahem thats another story. Now ya know I would not do anythin' illegal ! ;D ;D ;D ;D. Yes I have used some ;)... ahem  of em. See ifn I got pics of em.s ;D ;D ;D ;D............bob
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 05:57:00 pm by Kowechobe »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 06:41:54 pm »
   Down at Venus beach and in the rivers around where I live you can find sharks teeth as big as your hand.My largest one so far was 7 1/2" long and 4" wide.And these teeth were here on the coast during the time of the Caloosa's. There is also alot of these teeth around Orange City N.C.,in the phosphate mines.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 09:40:28 pm »
.........................Eddie, I dont live in the time of the Caloosa's though thats my ancestry. ;D Never dove rivers aint as accomplished as you , shark teeth I have found have been on coast in salt water around here. Largest one I have I mounted as a head was 2 1/2 " x say 1 1/2 " Ya really got a gold mine in those phospate pits. Hey, how are ya ?.......bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 08:54:12 pm »
  Hey Bob,Doing alright.You ought to come up and do some hunting.I was running the airboat today in one of the mines.During a little break ,we picked up some small ones and some large broken ones in the road gravel.I'll take some pictures tomorrow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 09:11:09 pm »
http://www .sanybel.com/calusa_indian.htm

here is one
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 12:58:16 am by Justin Snyder »
Steve in LV, NV

gene roberts

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 11:03:46 pm »
yes actualy today i read a book about it,native tribes in south florida used them(with sucess).