Author Topic: Sinew glue processing  (Read 3669 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Sinew glue processing
« on: March 13, 2013, 05:09:02 pm »
I've got a bow making friend that keeps me thinking here trying different things.He pressure cooked sinew to make sinew glue in about a tenth of the time it takes to boil it on the stove.I'd of thought it might get too hot but he says it looks and acts fine.Anybody out there done this before?I wonder what you guys and gals think.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Sinew glue processing
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:50:54 pm »
What I think won't matter a tinker's fart.  The test is when the glue comes under maximum strain. 

I'd recommend he do a side by side comparison test using plain old Knox gelatin and some commercial wood glue to compare against.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 12:31:00 pm »
Yep...that's what I told him too.It was just quicker.Boiling for one hour opposed to 12 hours.So far he's just put it between his fingers and says it is very sticky.....LOL.He's got a couple of bows he'll take the extra time to sinew with the glue.Not doing a breaking test first.The glue looked a nice light color.Like it was'nt over cooked etc.
I've been using rabbit canvas sizing glue from Fredrix company that actually is a teetsy bit darker[amberish really]looking glue than his.I've never had a failure with Fredrix.The referral to darker glue by me is the indicator that possibly the glue is overcooked.Which is a no no and tends to make the glue weaker.Anyway he'll find out.He's got a great attitude towards failure and just figures the only investment he's lost is time.He's retired anyway.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 03:14:33 pm »
I still prefer baking mine in the oven set at 170 degrees F.  I get a lower yield, but from all sources, it is going to yield superior product.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.