Author Topic: Who Grows Their Own Shoot Shafts?  (Read 63324 times)

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
Who Grows Their Own Shoot Shafts?
« on: February 15, 2013, 03:21:55 pm »
kinda interested in domesticating some shaft material,
i'm finding wild rose a bit unpredictable as far as spine. some work fine, but after all the reduction and sizing, too many end up
as kids arrow shafts.
I'm thinking of planting viburnum and red osier near the shop and wondered if anyone here is already growing their own?
If so, any favorites?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:36:50 pm by jackcrafty »
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
Re: who grows their own shoot shafts?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 03:32:34 pm »
Great thread!  I'll be following this one closely.  Not sure if your interested in bamboo shafts but Pat B had this to say in my thread yesterday.
  If you can find Bambusa multiplex it is a clumping type(non-invasive) and makes excellent arrows...and fishing poles. 

I liked the non-invasive part for around the homestead.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline richardzane

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:53:58 pm »
thanks Dan,
for the tip about the Bambusa multiplex .
non-invasive is important to me too on our property... though honestly i'd be thrilled to have all kinds of shaft material to be growing along our creek.

I know i have found great shafts from my moms viburnum on the side of her house, I'm working on a set of arrows from that now.
they are amazingly strong spined even after reducing them to 11/22  but i'm looking to find a number of plants
that can adapt easily and "cultivate" well.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline trad bow

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 08:57:30 pm »
I have transplanted river cane in the creek bottom in front of the house. Haven't harvested any of it yet but have been straighting it as it is growing. Looks good compared to what I harvest out and about in the swamps. I spray it to keep out the ants also.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 08:58:17 pm »
Ive been thinking about planting a couple of dogwood bushes and would love to get some rivercane started. I dont have access to either in my neck of ghe woods.
Steve Bennett

Offline richardzane

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 09:04:28 pm »
I actually tried transplanting some rivercane along my spring ,but it seemed to actually be TOO wet for it where i put it.
After starting out well and sending up good shoots the spring branch flooded and soon after the cane rotted.

Offline Wind D Ranch

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 10:00:51 pm »
I planted some river cane, Japanese arrow bamboo, and a viburnum in my yard.  None of it is big enough to use yet, but I'm sure looking forward to seeing which one works best for arrows.  I also want to learn how to weave baskets from the river cane. 

Offline trad bow

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 10:05:08 pm »
The cane we have down here in the Ga swamps spends several weeks under water when the rivers flood and that doesn't seem to bother it. I have noticed that after the third year alot of cane will die on you because of ants bedding inside the cane hence why I spray my best patches. The best cane actually grows further away from the creeks. Higher and drier makes a slower growing and thicker wall cane. Nodes aren't as pronounced either. Although you will have 4 or 5 nodes compared to the cane growing near or in water which generally has 3 nodes per arrow length.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 11:48:28 pm »
I've got some Texas kidneywood and some persimmon shoots growing from a few stumps in my back yard.  I hope to coppice more of these if I can learn to plant them instead of depending on the occasional new growth here and there.   ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Lemos

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 12:18:03 am »
I'm growing Japanese arrow bamboo in half a barrel, this should be the year it really takes off.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 12:52:04 am »
I have hill cane naturally growing along my driveway and creek, Blackhaw viburnum growing in my woods and I planted silky dogwood along the creek. I'd like to plany arrow wood viburnum.
 Bambusa multiplex is cold sensative and won't grow here in the mountains of Western NC. It does grow along the SC coast. Probably USDA Hardiness zone 8 and 9. It might grow in a large pot or container that you bring inside during the winter if you live where it freezes hard.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 02:51:23 am »
I say we all just pack up and move next door to Pat!  He seems to have this all figured out ;)  Seriously, thanks for all the ideas Pat.  I'll be planting stuff in my yard and my wife will be amazed at how much I'm helping her.  If she only new I'd be cutting it all out in a year or two.  Maybe we should all grow a few different things and then supply each other with a variety.  I plucked a few ocean spray shoots (I think this plant is indigenous only to the North West) and they were stone stiff even wet.  I'm anxious to get a few arrows made up to try them.  I hear their tuffer than nails.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline heartrnurse

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 02:54:31 am »
Lemos,  I just brought to barrels of japanese arrow bamboo from florida here to Colorado when I moved.  I keep my stuff in the house till it warms up in the summer....any other tricks you have for keeping it good?  mine is young and has a couple years yet to reach maturity.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 03:04:43 am »
Don't mean to but in heartnurse and I don't know how long you've been in Colorado but I spent 35 hot dry summers there.  I recommend you keep you boo in a greenhouse type room if you can.  My mom did pretty good keeping hers alive outside on the patio but she tended to it every day.  Hope this helps.

Offline heartrnurse

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 12:38:31 pm »
Thanks for sure! They need loads of water...I will definitely go the greenhouse route.