Author Topic: Who Grows Their Own Shoot Shafts?  (Read 63336 times)

Offline twisted hickory

Re: who grows their own shoot shafts?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 11:52:05 pm »
If you live near any creek or wet swampy area red osier should be there by the ton. Maybe I am lucky but last harvest day produced over 100 shafts in 3 hrs along a small stream. If your idea works post it:) my niece said just cut then jam shoot in the ground and it will grow if done in wet soil.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 12:42:13 am »
Now would be a good time of year to do hardwood cuttings. I have also che shoots from silky dogwood and just jammed them along the creek that runs through my property and they rooted well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Arthur.s.Pankratz

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 12:59:37 am »
do any of y'all know what would make arrows in the hill country north of San Antonio, TX?
i haven't been able to find anything really decent around here :(

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 08:40:58 pm »
Not really sure of Texas. River cane? Do ya have any ornimental maple?
On a side note if ya have pigs down there could I come down next winter and help you find some shoots and maybe shoot a hog? I could bring a couple dozen red osier shafts for ya.:)
Seriously though I would trade some red osier for some decent quality flint/obsidian
Thanks,
Greg

Offline Mikeeeeeeeeee

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 10:37:54 pm »
A few weeks ago, I decided to embark on archery. Having shot compounds years ago, I wanted to go traditional. Then I discovered self bows. Then I found this site. Now I'm hooked.
So, I began looking for switch cane. I drive 52 miles round trip to work. There are at least 10 places along the way where I can park on the side of the road and walk a few feet and cut.
I dug some up and planted it along my creek.
Then today I cut my first pieces to begin drying.
Cant wait to make my own arrows.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 12:48:55 pm »
  I do n't grow my own persay but the woods on the farm I live on has a unlimit surply of ALt. DOG WOOD as well as all the viburums you can cut walking fence rows and rock breaks.
 I have planted 1000's,100's of dog wood seeds on farms I hunt on and 2 that I manage but it's none for cover as well as turkey food. There's lots of shafts there
  We don't have red osier dog wood here, but would trade some alternet dog wood seeds for red osier.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline dans89

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 09:13:46 pm »
I've been contemplating planting either Japanese arrow bamboo or tonkin bamboo, but I'm also in Colorado. Maybe it'll be ok in some buckets inside??

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 02:17:01 am »
Definitely be planting some Cane or some type of Viburnum in the yard here in Houston this year.
Might drive up toward Livingston and hunt Dogwood on public land.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 11:41:03 am »
crooketarrow sounds like youre in ideal arrow shaft country...here in NE OK theyre a little sparse.
how ya fixed for dogbane? been cutting stalks this morning
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 12:33:17 pm »
I'm trying to learn as much as I can about "free" natural materials and have been enjoying searching through the woods. Unfortunately, I don't know what a lot of these plant you're mentioning look like.  If you can post some close up pics of the shafts and pics of the plants it'd be great help!
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline richardzane

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 01:48:58 pm »
actually Dan,
you'll find a lot of pictures when you use google and do an "image" search:
try: dogbane, red osier dogwood, alternate dogwood, silky dogwood, viburnum or arrowwood 
they'll often have maps to let ya know where it grows too.
It can help in identifying trees too,since there is some regional variation  even among the same tree types.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 03:23:17 pm »
  RICH it dos'nt grow around here. I've never used dog brane before. I be willing to trade for a couple dozzen.
  Any shoots 2 years or older will make arrows.
  The straighter the better it all depends on how much work you wish to put into it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline richardzane

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 09:56:29 pm »
 Dogbane is great for making a strong natural fiber bow string....not arrows  :)
Its a reddish hollow stalk and the fiber is strong.. I have a dogbane string on a #50 hackberry - its very tough.

The stalks have given me some ideas though...I think it could make a pretty cool woven quiver,
that way it could serve as back up stalk material for a string that broke on a hunt.

Offline Lemos

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 11:40:34 pm »
Heartrnurse I never really give mine much thought ,I picked it up from a job where we dug out a power transformer the guy there was mowing it down yearly and said I could take all I wanted so I stuffed what I could in two buckets and after forgetting about them for a couple of weeks by which time they had dried up pretty well I planted them in a barrel half. Year one gave me quite a few little shoots, so I'm expecting some bigger canes if it follows like most bamboos.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
Re: Who Grows Their Own Shoot Shafts?
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 04:38:10 am »
One shoot I've found here in the NW is Ocean Spray.  I gotta say it's as straight as it gets right out of the ground.  I could leave the bark on, fletch nock and shoot these.  Not sure if Ocean Spray grows anywhere else though.  It grows wild and not sure if it's transplantable.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!